PDA

View Full Version : Life of an Apprentice!

Tyler Howell
10-02-2004, 2:11 PM
Life of an Apprentice!
Lapping, lapping and more Lapping.:eek:
I'm into the third week of my WW Unplugged class at the Local Woodcraft.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12080 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12080)
As luck would have it, our instructor did an apprenticeship in a traditional WW shop with old German & Swedish WW masters. The masters were very protective of there, tools, skills and techniques. Tom's intro consisted of sweeping lapping stones and more sweeping. Many interesting stories. included with our instruction.
To date we have learned Neander tool selection, identifying traits of antique treasures, and many methods of lapping/sharpening/honing out tools. We were even introed to some electron burning sharpening devices.

To date I've:

developed some good care and feeding techniques of Neander tools
established a sharpening station in my shop
come to know my Irwin/Marples Chisels aren't plug and play
discovered my flea market treasures are very common
found out my # 7 Stanley Jointer was made in 1892
learned the joys of Pairing.
Taken on the task of fine tuning all my sharps. It's a cool crisp day in the Minniapple. Great way to warm up the shop. :cool:

Bob Smalser
10-02-2004, 2:22 PM
I think that's a smart move, Tyler....all those hand tools will need work if you use them long enuf, I don't care who made them or how much they cost. He gonna have you file saws, too? Another important and increasingly-rare yet simple skill.

...our instructor did an apprenticeship in a traditional WW shop with old German & Swedish WW masters. The masters were very protective of there, tools, skills and techniques. Tom's intro consisted of sweeping lapping stones and more sweeping.

Ya didn't have to go to Europe to go thru that. Few old-timers I worked for...some even kin....would teach. They either didn't want to invest time in a short-timer, or saw you and other youngsters with more energy and a tad of talent as a threat to their position...or simply didn't have the patience.

Then they wondered on their death beds what happened to their craft...

...a mistake we shouldn't make, either.

Michael Stafford
10-02-2004, 2:29 PM
Tyler, these are true cordless tools. When you use them they never need recharging, you might, the tools never...

Tyler Howell
10-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Bob,

I'd like to follow you around and sweep your shop for a spell. The threads you have posted have been most informative.
Thanx:cool:

Jerry Palmer
10-04-2004, 2:07 PM
Well, I know this, Bob, you and a few others on this internet thing won't be wondering about that. It may not be hands on, over the shoulder supervision, but it is the next best thing and sure reaches a lot more folks.

One of the responsibilities of knowledge is to pass it on, and you and a few others are definitely doing that. Thank You.

Chris Padilla
10-04-2004, 3:27 PM
Very nice, Tyler, and good for you. Sigh, I only need more time. Could we add another day in the week between Saturday and Sunday??? P L E A S E !!!

Marc Hills
10-05-2004, 9:08 AM
Well, I know this, Bob, you and a few others on this internet thing won't be wondering about that. It may not be hands on, over the shoulder supervision, but it is the next best thing and sure reaches a lot more folks.

One of the responsibilities of knowledge is to pass it on, and you and a few others are definitely doing that. Thank You.

Hear, hear! One of the few truly delightful ironies of the internet age. In an era where we have come within a generation or two of forever losing hand tool knowledge and lore, the truly high tech has helped preserve and continue knowledge of the low tech.

Tom LaRussa
10-05-2004, 1:27 PM
Sigh, I only need more time. Could we add another day in the week between Saturday and Sunday??? P L E A S E !!!
Chris,

Be careful what you wish for.

Before you know it, your little one will be off to college and you'll be sitting at home icing your sore back, scratching your (balding) head, and wondering where the time went...

:(

Jerry Palmer
10-06-2004, 2:49 PM
Hey Tom, were you describing you or me. The time sure did fly by.

:)