PDA

View Full Version : Today's Lathe Findings

Kenneth Whiting
11-22-2009, 2:42 PM
While setting up to turn the honey dipper earlier I could not get the blank centered no matter how close I got to the middle of the blank. I realized the head stock was not straight. I figured it was right because I let the pin fall into place where it is supposed to be at 0 degrees. Well, it isn't exactly 0 degrees. I noticed on other pieces but figured I was messing up since the wood was bigger and easier to not get in the exact middle. Anyway, I have to hold the pin out, get the headstock as straight as I can and tighten it down without moving it. Can I adjust the locking pin so it will be in the right place?

On a better note. When I was getting ready to start this turning thing, and finding out all I could about my lathe and the accessories that are available I kept thinking I had heard of a #2 Morse Taper before. I could not figure it out so I discounted it as nothing much, just something I had heard before. I got my first pepper mill mechanism in recently and was trying to figure out if I should buy a drill chuck for the lathe or try using my drill press for the middle of the pepper mill. Like most men I was leaning towards buying a new toy. Especially since I wasn't sure how I was going to get the blank perfectly centered on my drill press. Then it hit me. My drill press chuck has a #2 Morse Taper on it. I had to knock it in place when I was setting it up. I took it out of the press and tried it in the tail stock. I'll be darned, I just saved about $40.00. The Mrs. was at least as happy as I was about my new finding.