PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Mawson's Maple

Kenneth Whiting
11-22-2009, 2:09 PM
When I posted my last honey dipper, Steve Mawson offered me some Maple if I would like to turn a few more. I got it in almost a week ago and have been dieing to get a chance to turn it since I've really only used pine. I finally got time today so I made another one.

Thank you again Steve for sending it. I will have your Mesquite in the mail soon.

What should I finish these with since I plan on using them?

Mike Minto
11-22-2009, 2:50 PM
ken, if it makes you feel 'safer', use a store-bought finish labelled as 'food safe', like a salad bowl finish. otherwise, i believe any film finish available to the average consumer is 'food safe' as long as it's fully cured - but that, of course, is up to you. i use both types. hope this helps; if not, there are many threads on the subject one can find by searching here.

David E Keller
11-22-2009, 5:28 PM
Nice work... Now that they are off the lathe, an oil finish would be my first choice. If you make another, I'd finish them on the lathe with bees wax... Seems appropriate for a honey dipper

Steve Mawson
11-22-2009, 8:06 PM
Wow you got on that in a hurry. Looks like it will work well. I use salad oil or olive oil on the spoons that I have made. Have to redo them from time to time but seems to work well.

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2009, 9:36 PM
Nice looking honey dipper. I use Mike Mahoney's walnut oil on mine.

Jarrod McGehee
11-22-2009, 10:28 PM
or you could drench it in mineral oil, let it dry about a week then put some beeswax over that. i made a paste wax with both. equal parts. and melted the wax in the oil and works nicely on cutting boards and stuff.