PDA

View Full Version : Speed control conversion for DVR 3000

Dale Hemm
11-22-2009, 1:01 PM
Anyone have information on modifying a DVR 3000 to use an external variable speed control? I saw something, somewhere, sometime in the last year or so, but now I have no idea where that was.

I'm considering upgrading the control board to at least have the option for a few presets (my circa 2004 machine has V4.13 software so no presets), but I would like to take a look at other options as well; if they're out there.

Thanks

Bill Bolen
11-22-2009, 8:37 PM
Dale, there is a well written article on the Nova owners group page about making a secondary control unit for the DVR. It is over my head but you may not be as challenged as I. I have been looking into making an "extension cord" type of set-up for my DVR that will allow me to mount the control as is original or move the entire controller panel to the the tailstock end of the lathe...Bill...

Reed Gray
11-23-2009, 1:07 PM
Older versions would have the option of the pulleys, or a DC motor which will do variable speed pretty well.

robo hippy

Alan Trout
11-23-2009, 2:41 PM
Dale, William,

I have thought about making the entire panel movable. The cable from the main board has nine conductors if I remember correctly and they are 28ga. I am pretty sure that I can dig up the plug/receptacle because of the rather low numbers produced I would bet it is not proprietary. I was planning to do this after the holidays and I will let you know how it goes. I think making the entire panel movable it the best bet because it really has nothing to do with modifying the electronics and you have full control over the lathe.

Alan

Bill Bolen
11-23-2009, 3:18 PM
Alan if you go through with this please post back! I really need to do this myself but am a bit challenged electronically..Thanks in advance...Bill...

Dale Hemm
11-25-2009, 8:31 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Alan,

What I'm hoping to do is to circumvent the up and down speed buttons by going to a twist knob style control. I'm sure I saw a post once by someone who had done something similar and had it mounted towards the right end of the lathe.

William,

I haven't had any luck finding that article you mentioned.

I sent an email to Teknatool about this, and did get a fairly quick reply which confirmed that they don't have a twist knob style solution. With so many other lathe manufacturers offering it on their variable speed models, I wonder if it has something to do with the DVR motors. Any electronics gurus out there who know the answer to that?

Bill Bolen
11-25-2009, 8:50 PM
Dale, here is a link to the site. The file is in the "file cabinet" section. I just went through it again and it is only for a remote on/off switch...Bill..
http://www.myfamily.com/isapi.dll?c=s&htx=m&siteid=LG-hAI&_lin=1

Bill Blasic
11-26-2009, 6:32 AM
Dale,
I do not recall any post that showed a twist style speed knob. As Bill said a remote off on switch was posted. The board that controls the motor is like a computer mother board (I recently pulled it for repair). I do not know how long you have had your lathe but when I first got my DVR I looked extensively for what you are looking for (not available). But over time using the lathe I no longer even think about it, the ramping buttons work fine and I'm not doing production work. I have three other lathes that are also variable speed with knobs for speed control and I use all four daily and have no problem with the DVR when I'm on it. I personally can't wait to see what Allen does with making the whole deal movable, I won't be doing it but he does some neat stuff.

Alan Trout
11-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Bill thanks for the kind words.

The only reason I want the panel movable is for hollowing when I am at the other end of the lathe. With bowls I really do not see a need for it to be in any other location. I originally also thought about making a knob control but after using the lathe for a while I agree with Bill that there is really no need. With the preset functions and the ability to set them to your desired speeds, it works great, and becomes second nature.

I will get to work on the project hopefully after the holidays. I will try digging up some of the needed components over the next few weeks. I will keep all of you up to date.

Alan

Jacob Hooysma
11-27-2009, 5:22 AM
Could you be more specific about what you would like to do ?

I have a 2005 4.54 DVR 3000 with presets using mode + up/down button.

The buttons will give the control unit a digital signal like an on/off switch telling the control unit to increase by one step (5 rpm) up when the up button is pressed or down when de down button is pressed.

You need some engineering to convert the motion/signal from a wheel to pulses. There are rotary encoders type of switches that can turn endless.
en generate pulses. You see a lot of those in modern cars for volume or stereo equipment.

Jacob

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2009, 10:11 AM
I also did extensive research on a twist knob to control the speed. Did not find a thing as Bill B. said. After using it for a while I see no need to. I have my presets set at the speeds I turn with 90% of the time and takes 2 seconds to change. I am not a production turner either and no longer give speed control a thought.

Alan Trout
11-27-2009, 12:48 PM
What I plan to do is very simple. I am just going to make the entire panel movable. That way I do not have to mess with the electronics other than come up with the proper plug for the board and a cable. I am going to build a box to hold the components, LCD, boards,and touchpad. I have most of it figured out and it should be a pretty slick setup I just need to get the time to do it.

Alan

Ralph Lindberg
11-27-2009, 1:08 PM
Dale, here is a link to the site. The file is in the "file cabinet" section. I just went through it again and it is only for a remote on/off switch...Bill..
http://www.myfamily.com/isapi.dll?c=s&htx=m&siteid=LG-hAI&_lin=1

Note, the above link only works if you are already a member, to become a member you have to be "invited" by a current member

Dean Jones
11-27-2009, 7:30 PM
I was wondering if a router speed control box would be enough for my lathe. I have a cheapy with a 1/2 hp. motor. But I dim my lights at times when I take too big a bite...

Ralph Lindberg
11-28-2009, 12:56 AM
I was wondering if a router speed control box would be enough for my lathe. I have a cheapy with a 1/2 hp. motor. But I dim my lights at times when I take too big a bite...

Not on a lathe, wrong type of motor

John McCaskill
11-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Note, the above link only works if you are already a member, to become a member you have to be "invited" by a current member

I don't think you need an invite at all, just register. In any event, if you want an invite I'll happily send one to you.

John