PDA

View Full Version : nicker ?? (thread repair part 2)

Matt Edwards
11-22-2009, 11:41 AM
No pics yet as I'm in attempt three at getting threads to hold. Tried two attempts with JB weld which I think would have worked just fine if there was more thread area. As it was the nicker ripped out after only a few strokes in the clear pine. As of right now, I have filled the hole with silver solder and drilled an tapped it back out (8/32 was the factory thread in this case).

After some thought before I give it a test run, I'm wondering what the proper setting for the nicker is. To this point every plane that I have had that is equipped with a nicker has of course been worn to varying degrees and I have had good success using them as found (aside from light edge refinement). On this particular #50 the nickers in either skate had never been used, or were brand new replacements. I did put a nice edge on this one before I put it to use, but it sticks way below the skate in comparison with my 45's and 46 and others. What is the correct set up on a nicker? It dawned on me that I do not recall ever reading or seeing the "proper" set up for one.

I'm hoping to avoid the last resort on the threads which is brazing and re tapping, as I'm reluctant to apply that much heat to such a small thin area.

Thanks in advance!!!

Matt

Paul Atkins
11-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Had to laugh at your title because my wife has a sweing shop -she can use her threads to fix your nickers.

george wilson
11-22-2009, 3:25 PM
I think your silver soldering and re tapping will work. I had no faith in the JB Weld working. The nicker probably had too small a groove,but I was wondering if you could have tapped out the hole 1 size larger? Or,bore out the hole and plug it with a threaded plug. Then,drill out the center of the plug for your nicker screw.

Matt Edwards
11-22-2009, 4:08 PM
Yeah George, there just wasnt enuff area there for the JB. I did start to go size bigger, then figgured that I could keep that cure in the arsenal. With a little luck the SS will hold and life will be good :)

Thanks
Matt