PDA

View Full Version : DW788 Scroll Saw Assembly

glenn bradley
11-22-2009, 10:52 AM
I took advantage of Grizzly's price on this bundle.

The saw, stand and lamp come boxed separately. The saw and stand had a little shipping scrunch on the heavy ends. I opened and inspected them before UPS left as is my custom. No worries, the packaging was more than adequate to protect things from much worse treatment.

The instructions are riddled with the typically inadequate DeWalt flavorings. Despite their best efforts I was able to assemble everything easily. Seriously, there's not much to it.

The stand is quite sturdy but taller than I expected. The saw runs quite smoothly in all but the highest range. Since the "nickle test" seems to be a measuring method of sorts:

A nickle will stand on edge during motor start up and shut down. Even at the relatively rough higher speeds the nickle will move but not fall over.

I did a test cut with the factory supplied blade and have a variety of Flying Dutchman's in hand. There is a pit in the casting to the left of the cutting area about 1/16" across and about as deep. I have emailed Grizzly about a replacement table.

The flaw is minor and in practice, probably transparent. I just feel it is my duty to NOT accept poor QA from the folks I choose to buy from (soapbox, soapbox). I'll keep you updated on the table CS. For those of you who have these, does the vibration (very minimal) at high speed sound about normal? Thanks.

Dave Sharpe
11-22-2009, 11:06 AM
sounds like the same experience I've had as far as vibration goes. I bought mine a few months ago (THEN all the sellers started offering the stand and light package - about two weeks after I bought mine! Doh!) and asked a similar question on the scrollsaw board. After getting some advice there I tried setting the saw itself on a concrete floor and noticed much less vibration even at higher speeds. Since I don't want to lay on the floor to cut, I simply accept a little vibration or work at a slower speed. For now My saw lives in a corner of the shop but gets pulled out and set up on the workbench with a rubber vibration mat under it when I want to use it. Overall I've been happy with everything on the saw except my timing on purchasing it.....

Dave Lehnert
11-22-2009, 11:21 AM
I have used that saw for some time now and have not experienced any problems. One trick when assembling the stand is to put it together where it will be used. Just finger tight all bolts at first then go back and tighten all.

glenn bradley
11-22-2009, 12:20 PM
One trick when assembling the stand is to put it together where it will be used. Just finger tight all bolts at first then go back and tighten all.

Thanks Dave(s). :)

The directions stated to assemble the stand as Dave suggests so maybe I shouldn't dog DeWalt's manuals like I did :rolleyes:.

richard poitras
11-22-2009, 1:03 PM
After getting some advice there I tried setting the saw itself on a concrete floor and noticed much less vibration even at higher speeds......

You could also try putting sand bags for weight on the base supports of the stand it may help!

glenn bradley
11-22-2009, 1:56 PM
You could also try putting sand bags for weight on the base supports of the stand it may help!

Good idea. I did that on my old C-man contractor saw and it made a world of difference. I had to give it a try. I made a door pull for a small wall cabinet I am making for LOML's daughter who like horses.

Kevin Gregoire
01-08-2010, 8:42 PM
i got my saw together and i dont know if its normal but with the blade out the blade holding 'fingers' sure wobble a lot, is that normal? they stop moving once a blade is in and tightened.

and then while running the air tube vibrates so much its just a blur.

i also have a little pinhead sized hole on the right side of my table, i sure wouldnt think it would hurt anything or catch a part on it?

overall i really thought there wouldnt be any vibration at all so im kind of disappointed in this scroll saw! any ideas if its just defective or this is normal??

thanks