PDA

View Full Version : homage to bill bolen - red cedar vase

Mike Minto
11-22-2009, 9:43 AM
i don't know mr bolen, but find his hollow forms quite exqusite. i've finally finished one, in what seems to be his trademark here, red cedar. not as thin walled as i'd like, but i have a tendency to ruin pieces when almost complete, so i was careful here, hehe. anyway, aobut 10" tall, 7" wide, about 8 coats of wipe-on poly (which i'll have to be more careful with in the future, got a couple of small 'runs' i may yet sand out) and then two-wheel buffed. finished with renaissance wax.

Richard Madison
11-22-2009, 9:52 AM
Gorgeous piece Mike. Assuming you were emulating the style of another, might be inappropriate to comment on the form.

Harvey Ghesser
11-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Wow! Really lovely, Mike!:)

Bill Bolen
11-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Mike, I was stunned when I spotted and read your post! No finer compliment could be offerd or graciously accepted. You really touched my heart. If I had anything to do with inspiring your beautiful HF or helping out in any way then I am totally rewarded for posting here. I am here to learn and admire the work of others, so if I helped someone I have really been rewarded for my efforts. Thank you....Bill...

charlie knighton
11-22-2009, 1:01 PM
very nice, Mike, the wood really is outstanding, you did a fine job with it

Billy Tallant
11-22-2009, 1:23 PM
That HF looks really great. That red cedar just stands & grabs your attention.

Ron Bontz
11-22-2009, 3:39 PM
Beautiful piece Mike. And I would agree William's work is gorgeous. I would love to have someone teach this old guy proper tool technique and methods. Being predominately self taught my teacher is a little lacking in knowledge and talent.:D

Jarrod McGehee
11-22-2009, 7:39 PM
Nice HF Mike!

Steve Mawson
11-22-2009, 7:56 PM
Always like that cedar. Looks very nice.

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2009, 9:40 PM
Good looking vase. Really nice cedar.

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2009, 7:21 PM
Mike - you did good! Beautiful wood, form and finish! Love that rich Cedar color! Thanks for sharing!

Oh..... I agree, Bill does some amazing turnings!