PDA

View Full Version : Mimosa HF

Richard Madison
11-22-2009, 9:42 AM
Been working on "form" lately with a series of hollowforms. Not quite there yet. This one is mimosa, 9" tall, 3/16" to 1/4" wall thickness, lacquer finish. Think the bottom could be a bit smaller and/or larger radius rounding the sides into the bottom.

C. and C. welcome and encouraged.

Mike Minto
11-22-2009, 9:49 AM
richard, i love hollow forms. this one is very nice, great wood color, great figure. i remember someone here asking if mimosa turned well - i think this is a resounding, 'yes'! excellent finish - good job!

Harvey Ghesser
11-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Gorgeous piece, Richard!

David Christopher
11-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Richard, yes the bottom could be smaller and the top bigger but it would look like all the others....I think it looks great just like it is....and beautiful finish

Bill Bolen
11-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Congrats on a really pretty Piece Richard. That mimosa is very attractive and you have done a fine job with your finish. I agree completly with your self-critique on your quest for improvement. After you have done your 100th piece you will still be seeking improvement as we all do. I think you are well on your way to the "perfect form for you". Again...very nice...Bill...

charlie knighton
11-22-2009, 12:57 PM
very nice, things happen, there are twins but even twins are individuals :D

Joe Meirhaeghe
11-22-2009, 4:39 PM
Congrats on a really pretty Piece Richard. That mimosa is very attractive and you have done a fine job with your finish. I agree completly with your self-critique on your quest for improvement. After you have done your 100th piece you will still be seeking improvement as we all do. I think you are well on your way to the "perfect form for you". Again...very nice...Bill...

I agree with what William said. :)
My thoughts would be a little of both. A little smalle dia. for the bottom & a little more rounded going into the bottom.
Just my thoughts not that I really know anything ;)

Richard Madison
11-22-2009, 7:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate your support. As William suggested, every piece is practice for the next one.

Jarrod McGehee
11-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Richard you have a beautiful finish and a fairly nice piece. I'd make the base a little smaller of a footprint and maybe a different wood around the rim. like rosewood or something but overall it's nice.

Bernie Weishapl
11-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Beauty Richard. Really nice wood and finish.

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2009, 7:17 PM
Richard - love the wood and finish! Nice size to this piece! Form always varies depending on who you ask and what it is you are trying to create. I agree with your observations and look forward to seeing what you turn next!

You did good!

Richard Madison
11-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate your support. Steve, the one I did next is sold, but will post a picture if I don't forget. The lady picked the best of four with very little hesitation, which got my respect for her judgement.

Jim Kountz
11-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Wow I dont know but it looks great to me, nice job!!

Leigh Costello
11-23-2009, 11:47 PM
So that's what you do with Mimosa! Great job!

Richard Madison
11-24-2009, 4:20 PM
Thanks Jim and Leigh. I rarely pass up a chance to turn any new (to me) kind of wood. Most results are pretty good. But if you get a chance to turn a chunk of the common decorative palm tree, just let it go!