PDA

View Full Version : Call me crazy if you like............

Rob Littleton
10-02-2004, 12:20 PM
You wouldn't be the first :-)..

Anyways, I have one of those beautiful (NOT!!!) Gold shower frames that houses the frosted glass in my main bathroom.

So what, you might think........

I hate it and was looking for ideas (MAYBE) of getting rid of the metal frame and using some kind of wood to make a new one. I was thinking of a hard wood that I would have to coat with some kind of outside sealer or shellac and maybe have to treat it one or twice a year.

As you can tell, this is just a thought right now but has anyone ever done anything like this or am I truly CRAZY?

thanks

Steve Jenkins
10-02-2004, 12:27 PM
White oak, teak,ipe and mahogany are all good woods around moisture. I wouldn't use shellac but rather varnish. Steve

Gary Max
10-02-2004, 12:29 PM
I am thinking that building a frame that will hold it might be the hardest part. On ours teh stupid enclosure froms around the front. Ours would not have anything solid enough to support it. Yah I hate our also--peice of junk always leaks--seals are worthless.

Jamie Buxton
10-02-2004, 1:31 PM
I wouldn't put wood on the inside of a shower enclosure. Look at all the water and soap scrum and hair and stuff inside. Making wood stand up to that will be fighting Nature, which is generally a losing battle.

Instead, I suggest leaving the aluminum in place, and covering the outside with wood. There'd be no wood inside, just aluminum. The outside -- the part which you look at -- would be nice wood. You could use almost any kind of wood and finish. The wood might mostly be U-channel, so it covers the front and kinda wraps around the edges of each piece of aluminum. It doesn't have to wrap very tightly -- just enough to be a visual screen. The only tricky part might be fastening the wood to the aluminum. I'd go with construction adhesive -- PL400 or the like.

Jim Becker
10-02-2004, 3:33 PM
You crazy? Naaaaaaaa........ :D

I'm with Jamie on this. If you want the wood look, cap it, but leave the track as-is. And do use a species that can stand up to the moisture.

Ralph DaFoe
10-03-2004, 8:30 AM
I wouldn't use white oak. While it is very rot resistent around water, it turns black as soon a moisture gets under the finish. If you like the color of white oak, try locust instead -- similar color tone but very tight grain -- hard to find though, at least in Maine. I'm currently looking for some to replace the toerails on my sailboat.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-03-2004, 8:48 AM
Ipe...hands down the best moisture resistant wood on the planet...I would second the cap idea and leave the frame intact.