PDA

View Full Version : Christmas present factory

Dave Sharpe
11-21-2009, 5:52 PM
Been hard at work in the shop making boxes patterned after the recent ones in WoodSmith magazine. On some of them I'm adding a wooden ribbon bow cut on a scrollsaw to enhance the look. Selling some and sending some to friends and family. The wood is entirely salvaged from pallets and comes complete with nail-holes and knots for interest.

Jim Kountz
11-21-2009, 6:17 PM
Good looking boxes and great gifts too!! Not to mention the recycling value!!

richard poitras
11-21-2009, 6:41 PM
On some of them I'm adding a wooden ribbon bow cut on a scrollsaw to enhance the look.

Dave the box's are looking good! Can you give us some more detail on how you are doing the ribbon's and posible a close up of the two box's with the ribbon's?

Dave Sharpe
11-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Sure - Here's sme close-ups of the boxes and the bows. The bow is from a pattern found in John A Nelson's book "Scroll Saw Workbook" which introduces new users to the scrollsaw in 25 step-by-step lessons. (I think the bow is lesson number 19). I modified the pattern just a bit so the pointed ends of the bow angle down, rather than upwards. The bow is simply epoxied onto the box prior to applying an orange-oil and wax finish. The pattern found in the Woodsmith article is for the arched-handle type you'll see in one photo, but I think they executed it far better than my attempt. I've made my own inlay from scraps of maple, walnut, oak and teak. (these are some of my early attempts and aren't quite as well-done as the later versions. Practice hasn't made perfect yet, but they're certainly improving!)