PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight TS

Rick Davidson
11-21-2009, 5:43 PM
Does anyone know anything about this table saw? It's listed for 799.99 but with 20% off it's $639.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93380

Eric Roberge
11-21-2009, 5:58 PM
IMO...FWIW... Don't know about that particular saw, but I would look for a used cabinet saw by Jet, Delta, Griz or Shop Fox before I'd spend that much on a HF branded tool. I think you'll feel (I know I would) more comfortable with a saw from a reputable company.

With so many people out of work right now, there's a ton of stuff floating around CL. It is possible to find something quality in your price range. Do some research on new stuff so that you know what is a good deal and what's not, because there's a lot of overpriced stuff out there too.

Again, just my 2c.

Good luck on your search!:)

Myk Rian
11-21-2009, 6:37 PM
Not too bad if you want a right tilt saw.

Rich Neighbarger
11-21-2009, 6:42 PM
For the same price range I'd go with a Craftsman Professional 22124... But that's just me.

Prashun Patel
11-21-2009, 6:51 PM
I'm not above going HF on a lot of purchases. But a cabinet TS is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase (at least, many hope). For that, I'd buy a brand with some history. Check out the Grizzly 1023. Delivered it's only about $100 more. It has a loyal following.

scott spencer
11-21-2009, 7:07 PM
I'm not above going HF on a lot of purchases. But a cabinet TS is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase (at least, many hope). For that, I'd buy a brand with some history. Check out the Grizzly 1023. Delivered it's only about $100 more. It has a loyal following.

Pretty much my sentiments too. I've got some HF stuff that's fine, and I've had some that's not so fine. This one might be fine too, but $640 to $800 is a lot money to be out if it's a dud. If you're near a Grizzly showroom, the G1023SL in on sale for $795 ($889 delivered)...it's more money, but it's well proven, and well regarded.

Dave Lehnert
11-21-2009, 9:04 PM
Pretty much my sentiments too. I've got some HF stuff that's fine, and I've had some that's not so fine. This one might be fine too, but $640 to $800 is a lot money to be out if it's a dud. If you're near a Grizzly showroom, the G1023SL in on sale for $795 ($889 delivered)...it's more money, but it's well proven, and well regarded.

And you will have service and parts support.

guy knight
11-21-2009, 10:00 PM
hf and a power cord not a good combination

Josh Reet
11-21-2009, 10:24 PM

I call BS on that. There are any number of power tools at HF that are good values for a lot of people. There are other HF tools that are junk. You've just got to make the effort to find the difference. Just takes a little google searching.

That having been said, I wouldn't spend cabinet saw money at HF. Not when grizzly can be had for almost the same money. Not to mention finding something used from jet or delta.

Bruce Page
11-21-2009, 10:31 PM

That's pretty much the rule I go by too. I agree with Eric, there are a lot of good deals out there right now, check your classifieds.

Rick Davidson
11-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks, I have always followed the same rule nothing with a power cord from HF, but just wasn't sure if this was a diamond in the ruff. I think I am gonna go with the Grizzly G1023SL.

guy knight
11-22-2009, 12:03 AM
I call BS on that. There are any number of power tools at HF that are good values for a lot of people. There are other HF tools that are junk. You've just got to make the effort to find the difference. Just takes a little google searching.

that is what i always look for in a company to have to do a search to find what power tools wont kill me or break down when i plug them in for the first time:eek::D:D

johnny means
11-22-2009, 12:15 AM
That harbor freight saw looks very similar to a Shop Fox. The fence and guard are dead giveaways. I'm betting it's a pretty good value.

I would still opt for the Grizzly in that price range.

Josh Reet
11-22-2009, 12:17 AM
that is what i always look for in a company to have to do a search to find what power tools wont kill me or break down when i plug them in for the first time:eek::D:D

The view must be good from up there on your high horse.

Greg Peterson
11-22-2009, 12:46 AM
The Ridgid R4511 is going for $499 right now. After the Friends and Family rebate the saw the saw is only $424.

Ridgid is discontinuing this saw so Depot is blowing them out.

Cabinet mounted trunnion, riving knife, dust collection, left tilt, mobile base.

For what it's worth.

Cary Falk
11-22-2009, 2:46 AM

You have to do that with every company. Why does everybody make a big deal about it when it is HF?