PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed w/Oneway product

Hilel Salomon
11-21-2009, 1:51 PM
I have often lauded Oneway for their products and for their customer service. Well..... I bought two sets of oneway versaslides which are intended to accomodate Vicmarc 120 jaws(of which I have an abundance). I got them at CS and recently tried putting the slides on. The first set had the numbers so feint that I barely could see them. Anyway, they never fit properly and didn't close in unison. Actually, I could barely get the slides to close at all. The set here in Columbia has the numbers stamped clearly but they too will not close at all. When I called Oneway to see if I were doing something wrong, I was told that their tech support guru would call me back....... Still holding my breath. CS told me that they would gladly either exchange the slides or refund my money.
Having lots and lots of strongholds and VM 120's, I've gotten to the point that I much prefer the VM chucks and most of their jaws. I'm at the point where I may just sell many of the stronghold chucks and get VM120's to replace them.
Hilel.

Mike Stephens
11-21-2009, 4:01 PM
Hilel those are not produced by OW. CS had them machined so they could sell OW chuck owners Vic jaws.

If you have a QC issue it's with CS not OW.

Good Luck,
Mike

alex carey
11-21-2009, 4:13 PM
Well I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience with oneway, so far i've only had good dealings with them, hopefully your situation gets fixed.

Ron Bontz
11-21-2009, 6:31 PM
Thanks for posting. I have a vicmark now and was considering those jaws. Nothing against Oneway, but I think I'll stay with the vicmarc.

Alan Zenreich
11-21-2009, 6:45 PM
As Mike pointed out, this is likely not a OneWay manufactured product.

It was made exclusively for CS, but from the CS site, it is unclear who actually produces the item.

So I agree, in this case the disappointment should be with CS, not OneWay.

Curt Fuller
11-21-2009, 9:04 PM
I think that only as a last resort should someone post a negative experience with a product or service. There's a potential for any product to not live up to expectations. The true measure of quality or service is in how the producer handles the situation. Oneway and Craftsupplies are both excellent companies that sell excellent products and provide excellent service. Until every avenue of reconciliation has been exhausted we should be careful what we post. This forum serves hundreds if not thousands of potential customers for those two companies and they deserve the benefit of having a chance to make this problem right.

Hilel Salomon
11-22-2009, 8:34 AM
Curt,

I can only agree with you partially. Each year someone posts a question about choosing a lathe, chuck, or tool and the honest responses include comments not always favorable to one or another manufacturer or distributor. When a product is faulty it is a service to potential buyers to comment on it. Two out of two faulty slides doesn't bode well for future buyers.
I agree that Oneway has excellent products and in addition to prefacing my comments with that statement have lauded their products in the past. I have also frequently praised their technical support. I waited ten days for what was supposed to be an "immediate" response and never got it. As I mentioned, CS was excellent in this case. Unless I had posted this, I would have assumed that it was indeed a Oneway product. Now, perhaps I know better. I think that the motto "if you can't say anything nice......." is generally a good one. Nevertheless it would be a disservice to others in this forum to avoid caveats. I know that in making difficult choices, I depend on the frank comments of those with experience. Generalized praise is of little help in choosing a product.
Regards, Hilel.

Harvey Mushman
11-22-2009, 9:11 AM
Hilel...You sound like an intelligent fellow. Now that it has been pointed out that the product in question was not manufactured by Oneway, there still appears to be a great amount of animosity directed in the direction of our friend in the "Great White North".

Did you call Kevin at Oneway or email? 10 days for a response is unusual, to say the least. Anytime I have had an issue with my 2436, and there has been very few ( a bad switch), Kevin has been easily accessible.

I understand your frustration over a product that doesn't meet expectations, but as soon as you found out that it wasn't a Oneway product, Oneway should have been left out of the conversation.

Mike Minto
11-22-2009, 9:20 AM
hilel and all. i recently had a very small problem with OW, one they fixed but is still coincidenal with hilel's. i ordered 2 clamp blocks directly from OW; got sent the wrong ones. OW sent replacements - they fit, but look kinda cruddy and a little pitted; one was missing a washer, and neither bolt would go thru the block without a wrench. i mailed the originals back, keeping their bolts (which fit effortlessly) and one washer; sent the bolts that wouldn't fit for me. the paperwork they sent me for customs (shipping us to canada) had 'value' pre-filled in at $10, the paperwork said not to alter this, or i might incur additional charges (?). well, these cost aobut $30 for the pair; i changed the value on the paperwork to reflect that, because i'm not going to misrepresent anything thru the mail. i'm waiting to see if they refund my shipping cost - will let you know, as they said they would.

Steven DeMars
11-22-2009, 4:32 PM
I think that only as a last resort should someone post a negative experience with a product or service. There's a potential for any product to not live up to expectations. The true measure of quality or service is in how the producer handles the situation. Oneway and Craftsupplies are both excellent companies that sell excellent products and provide excellent service. Until every avenue of reconciliation has been exhausted we should be careful what we post. This forum serves hundreds if not thousands of potential customers for those two companies and they deserve the benefit of having a chance to make this problem right.

Perhaps if you have nothing to offer in a way of a solution beyond chastising the OP about his post you should refrain from posting on the topic . . . now I feel I have to reply to you . .

I personally like this site for the "FRANK" comments . . . Whatever a post is about a product or company, it will be worked out after the input from several members post their experience and advice.

But I do not need read a "Dear Abby" comment about the content of a post. . . .

We all had mothers that told us how to behave . . . Mine did not teach me to be a silent sheep . . . .

As to Craft Supply, I deal with them on a regular basis . . .

Just about every order I receive I end up calling Danny in customer service to fix it.

Lets see . . . I have received broken items, used items, rusted jaws & wrong items . .

But i still deal with them because they have always made it good . . .

As to ONEWAY, I have been in communication with them in reference to a lathe . . . They have been very helpful . . . I personally expect some problems when I buy my lathe . . . If ONEWAY were a "We never screw-up" ISO 9000 Company . . . the price of their lathes would probably double . . . But then there would be NO MORE CUSTOM LATHES coming out of there . . .

You want custom, you will have "some" problems . . .

Regardless, a ONEWAY will be headed my way soon . . .

Steve:)

Curt Fuller
11-22-2009, 8:06 PM
Perhaps if you have nothing to offer in a way of a solution beyond chastising the OP about his post you should refrain from posting on the topic . . . now I feel I have to reply to you . .

I personally like this site for the "FRANK" comments . . . Whatever a post is about a product or company, it will be worked out after the input from several members post their experience and advice.

But I do not need read a "Dear Abby" comment about the content of a post. . . .

We all had mothers that told us how to behave . . . Mine did not teach me to be a silent sheep . . . .

As to Craft Supply, I deal with them on a regular basis . . .

Just about every order I receive I end up calling Danny in customer service to fix it.

Lets see . . . I have received broken items, used items, rusted jaws & wrong items . .

But i still deal with them because they have always made it good . . .

As to ONEWAY, I have been in communication with them in reference to a lathe . . . They have been very helpful . . . I personally expect some problems when I buy my lathe . . . If ONEWAY were a "We never screw-up" ISO 9000 Company . . . the price of their lathes would probably double . . . But then there would be NO MORE CUSTOM LATHES coming out of there . . .

You want custom, you will have "some" problems . . .

Regardless, a ONEWAY will be headed my way soon . . .

I tried to say this diplomatically but if “FRANK” is what you like I’d be glad to be frank. I didn’t mention Hilel by name because I meant this as a generic reply towards all “complaint” type posts. This was not directed at Hilel. But here goes. Hilel purchased an aftermarket product, versaslides, that were supposed to make the Vicmarc jaws fit his Oneway chucks. The versaslides were not made by either Vicmarc or Oneway. They didn’t work the way he thought they should. But the title of his post doesn’t say “Disappointed with versaslides” it says disappointed with Oneway product. It’s not a Oneway product! At the time I wrote this response over 550 people have viewed the “Disappointed with Oneway product” header line. How many have taken the time to read the replies explaining to Hilel that his problem is not with Oneway.
I fully agree with being candid about products and service and I’ve benefited greatly from comments and advice I received on this forum. But I still think that before you post something, especially something as negative as the “Disappointed with Oneway Product” line that you should know what you’re talking about. There was nothing “Frank” in that header line or in the post that followed it.

Steven, I’m glad your mother raised you right and that you aren’t a silent sheep. But my life experiences have taught me be careful to understand what’s going on before I throw someone or something in front of the bus. As for the “Dear Abby” comment, I’m sorry I’m not a big fan of Dear Abby. I don’t have a clue what you’re talking about there.

Mike Stephens
11-22-2009, 8:10 PM
I tried to say this diplomatically but if “FRANK” is what you like I’d be glad to be frank. I didn’t mention Hilel by name because I meant this as a generic reply towards all “complaint” type posts. This was not directed at Hilel. But here goes. Hilel purchased an aftermarket product, versaslides, that were supposed to make the Vicmarc jaws fit his Oneway chucks. The versaslides were not made by either Vicmarc or Oneway. They didn’t work the way he thought they should. But the title of his post doesn’t say “Disappointed with versaslides” it says disappointed with Oneway product. It’s not a Oneway product! At the time I wrote this response over 550 people have viewed the “Disappointed with Oneway product” header line. How many have taken the time to read the replies explaining to Hilel that his problem is not with Oneway.
I fully agree with being candid about products and service and I’ve benefited greatly from comments and advice I received on this forum. But I still think that before you post something, especially something as negative as the “Disappointed with Oneway Product” line that you should know what you’re talking about. There was nothing “Frank” in that header line or in the post that followed it.

Steven, I’m glad your mother raised you right and that you aren’t a silent sheep. But my life experiences have taught me be careful to understand what’s going on before I throw someone or something in front of the bus. As for the “Dear Abby” comment, I’m sorry I’m not a big fan of Dear Abby. I don’t have a clue what you’re talking about there.

Right on brother.

Steven DeMars
11-22-2009, 8:30 PM

Well, I can assure you that I am not a "sheepeople. "Some" people think it is actually a virtue . . .

Steve

Wally Dickerman
11-22-2009, 8:40 PM
What I am talking about is why you felt the need to say anything in this thread if it was not related to the problem . . .

But there is always someone trying to tell other people how they should feel or act . . . As to Dear Abby . . . I was referring to her habit of telling everyone how they should deal with people . .

Steve

I agree with Curt. If the product wasn't made by Oneway then why are they even mentioned.....Steven, it seems to me that you are critisizing Curt for the very thing that you are doing to him...telling him how to act.

Wally

Steven DeMars
11-22-2009, 8:44 PM
Perhaps, while everyone is beating up on the OP & myself you could take the time to LOOK & ACTUALLY READ Craft Supply's online catalog listing for Versa-Slide.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/w9sm/popular-searches/vicmarc?Args=

It CLEARLY STATES "BY ONEWAY"

Oneway also uses the term "VERSA" in several of it's products . . .

My guess is they are made by ONEWAY exclusively for Craft Supply. . .

Mike Minto
11-22-2009, 8:57 PM
Steven, regarding your original post in this thread, WELL SAID.

Steven DeMars
11-22-2009, 10:52 PM
It is by ONEWAY according to Craft Supply . .

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...s/vicmarc?Args (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/w9sm/popular-searches/vicmarc?Args)=

Harlan Coverdale
11-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Perhaps, while everyone is beating up on the OP & myself you could take the time to LOOK & ACTUALLY READ Craft Supply's online catalog listing for Versa-Slide.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/w9sm/popular-searches/vicmarc?Args=

It CLEARLY STATES "BY ONEWAY"

Oneway also uses the term "VERSA" in several of it's products . . .

My guess is they are made by ONEWAY exclusively for Craft Supply. . .

Dude. Relax.

The way I read the website copy, I thought it was a pretty clear indication they are not made by Oneway.

And BTW, nobody was calling you a sheepeople.

David Christopher
11-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Wow.................

Steven DeMars
11-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Dude. Relax.

The way I read the website copy, I thought it was a pretty clear indication they are not made by Oneway.

And BTW, nobody was calling you a sheepeople.

I think the words . . . BY ONEWAY are pretty clear to me if you go the URL and scroll down . . . so while you are relaxing you can perhaps read it. I can send you a screen snap shot of their page . . .

You are correct, in that it does imply they "have it made" . . But in the initial brief description . . . it states . . .BY ONEWAY next to the picture . .

Steve
:)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Well Gentlemen,

Here's my take on it.

Before anybody comes to any internet site to complain, whine or gripe about a bad product, they should make a reasonable effort to contact, communicate with the company involved and give them a chance to resolve the issue.

I know of no campany who hasn't or doesn't have an occasional issue.

The measure of the company is whether or not they make a sincere effort to make it right and in the end satisfy their customer.

This thread has turned into a juvenile shouting match and has outlived it's uselfulness.