PDA

View Full Version : need help buying router

Chi Cheng
11-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi I am new to woodworking and am just getting some tools together. I took a wood working course at the local high school for adult education and wanted to try some of the stuff I learned at home.

I wanted to purchase a router and am considering a couple of choices and wanted to get everyone's input here on which one I should get as my first router. Keep in mind I already have both 1/2 and 1/4 router bits so I was looking into routers that accept both.

On craigslist someone is listing a Milwaukee Router model 5615 for $100 looks to be in new condition. He is also listing a Porter Cable Router for $90 and it appears to be model # 693LRPK 1 3/4 HP plunge and fixed router.

Sears is having their 11 amp fixed base and plunge router 2hp on sale black friday for $79.99...

any help would be most appreciated.

Myk Rian
11-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Get the Sears. Hands down a nice setup, especially for the price.

scott spencer
11-21-2009, 11:59 AM
If it's just for hand use, the Milwaukee 5615-24 (http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5615-24-1-75-Horsepower-Multi-Base-BodyGrip/dp/B000QV35AK)combo kit is on sale from Amazon for $120 shipped. That's a very nice router kit.

If you'll be putting in a table, you'll want variable speed. The Hitachi M12VC (http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-M12VC-4-Horsepower-Variable-Router/dp/B0002ZZWXI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1258822667&sr=1-9)is also on sale for $120 shipped.

I hear some good things about the current Craftsman kit but have not used one.

glenn bradley
11-21-2009, 3:01 PM
Spend just a little more and get the Milwaukee Scott shows. They are just a different class of machine in my experience. JMHO. No offense intended to those who love their other routers. ;-)

Tom Esh
11-21-2009, 3:38 PM
I've got two of the C-Mans. Best value in the market IMO. The design is very much like a scaled down PC890 series. The Milwaukee is a better class of machine, but I'd hold out for the variable-speed version. Avoiding burn with a single speed router often requires working at a pace faster than your optimum comfort / control level.

Don Morris
11-21-2009, 4:56 PM
Amen, put in a large diameter bit (raised panels) and you can't slow down the router with variable speed, and that's a problem. Some how hold out for the variable speed option.

Ray Newman
11-21-2009, 5:12 PM
Visit your local "Big Box" store, Woodcraft, Rockler, and/or any other tool supplier who has a selection of routers.

Pick up and handle each one. You'll soon find which one(s) fits your hand better and has the easiest controls to manipulate and other features that you dinding to be useful. For example, some router designs make adjustments easier than others when mounted in a router table.

A large HP router with soft start is a nice feature as well as variable speeds.

Glen Butler
11-21-2009, 5:38 PM
Don't buy a milwaukee router. I have owned a few and only have problems with them. I swear buy any porter cable out there. And all their models that I know of come with both collets.