PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who engrave flag cases

Belinda Barfield
11-21-2009, 11:12 AM
I lost a dear friend this week and would like to engrave a flag case for his family. Is there a "standard" or "proper" way to engrave one? Thanks for your help!

Daryl Gregg
11-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I usually do something like:

Sgt. John Doe
Vietnam 1967-1969
June 14, 1948 - October 12, 2009

Belinda Barfield
11-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Thank you Daryl. Is there a particular place where this should be engraved, i.e., area of the clear cover, on the wood side, etc.?

Daryl Gregg
11-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Depends on the case, but we usually center it on the wood on the bottom or bottom of the glass.

Mike Null
11-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Belinda

I like to use a brass plate with engraving or sublimation and place it on the glass.
Send me a pm if you'd like me to make one for you.

Sometimes there is room on the base also. If it's a simple triangle; I'd engrave on the glass from the back or use the plate.

It would also be appropriate to use the symbol of his rank.

Belinda Barfield
11-21-2009, 3:03 PM
Thanks guys, and thanks for your offer Mike.

I just returned from the family's home. Stan's oldest son has a good friend who is an outstanding woodworker, so he will be building a custom case. I'll wait to see what the final product looks like and go from there.

Dave Garcia
11-22-2009, 9:28 PM
Belinda,

First off, I'm very sorry for your loss. Always a tough thing to go through, even more so if it's an actual family member. Best wishes in dealing with this.

Just a couple of thoughts. You didn't mention whether this was a former military individual or not. Regardless, from a military point of view, there is no written guidelines for this sort of thing. There are though guidelines for the size of flag to be given which will have a direct affect on the size of case to be built. And if this person was former military, he has the right to request his parent service to have a flag flown over the nations capital and then presented by a uniformed officer of that service to his family, after which it can be placed in a case such as you are speaking of.

If this individual was not former military, then there are no written guidelines that I know of just acceptable standards depending on the size of the flag.

Not sure if this helps you much but at least thought I'd try.

All the best.

Dave Garcia
The Wood Block, Ltd
USN Retired
Vietnam 69 - 75

Belinda Barfield
11-23-2009, 7:59 AM
Thanks Davd. I should have mentioned Stan's military service. He was a Marine. Like you, he was a Vitenam veteran.

Todd Suire
11-23-2009, 9:57 AM
Belinda,

It's a great thing you're doing for Stan. He'll appreciate it as he guards streets of Heaven.

Semper Fi!

Todd Suire
USMC
'88-'00

Dave Garcia
11-25-2009, 2:34 AM
Belinda,

That changes a few things. First off unless you have someone with direct access to the Corps, I would strongly suggest that you contact your local USMC recruiting office and discuss your options with the head of that particular recruiting station. There is a lot of truth in the Marine comment that they take care of their own. If you don't have a local Marine recruiter, then go to the yellow pages and contact any Marine Corps recruiter in and around your local area and explain the situation to them. They will be a wealth of information for you and will assist you in any way they can. And yes, there are written USMC guidelines concerning all things of this nature. The Marines are probably the only uniformed service that does take care of their own. Good luck.

And please pass along a "welcome home" to his family. Most Vietnam Vets never got that little bit of kindness and thanks when they returned.

Dave Garcia
The Wood Block, Ltd
Vietnam "69 - "75

Mike Null
11-25-2009, 8:44 AM
Actually, in many communities there is a chapter of the Marine Corps League. They can be helpful and here in St. Louis they do the honors at military funerals for veterans of all services at Jefferson Barracks Cemetery.

Belinda Barfield
11-25-2009, 9:03 AM
Thanks Dave and Mike. Stan's son (the one who is having the custom case built) is a Marine. I think I'll just let him handle everything. I'm an hour away from Parris Island, so I'll keep your advice in mind in case I have any future requests for engraving.

I held it together through Stan's memorial service, but the toughest part was watching the presentation of the flag to his widow, and the playing of Taps. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house.

Dave Garcia
11-26-2009, 2:23 AM
Belinda,

There is another star in Gods great galaxy, and another Marine guarding heavens gates this evening.

Dave Garcia
USN Retired
Vietnam '69 - '75