PDA

View Full Version : Odd request from customer

Mitchell Andrus
11-21-2009, 7:43 AM
I supplied Disney with 65 pieces of furniture for one of their hotel expansion projects. The goods shipped out about 9 months ago. Got paid, all's well.

Yesterday I received an email request for a "Flammability and Smoke Certification" for the items shipped - for the fire marshall's office.

White oak, plate glass (mirrored), micron thin coating of lacquer, metal fittings.....

This am I received a follow-up email.... forget about the earlier request, it only pertains to seating and bedding.

Quite the heart-stopper. I had visions of setting one of each model ablaze in a laboratory somewhere just so they could open a hotel. HA!

mike holden
11-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Mitch,
If they had not specified any certification with the request for bid, or in the purchase contract, then it would be on their nickel for you to do whatever build and test that was required. This could have been quite profitable for you.

Emotionally draining, knowing that you are building something destined for destruction, but, profitable.

Mike

I am a quality engineer, and yes we test items to destruction at times. Yes, its hard to justify - how do you measure cost avoidance? mh