PDA

View Full Version : Makita 9820-2 Electric Sharpener ..... opinions?

Brian Hale
10-02-2004, 6:29 AM
Does anyone know anything about these? I'm looking for something to do jointer and planer knives and perhaps a chisel or two...

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1460

Brian

Dick Parr
10-02-2004, 7:07 AM
I don't have one but a friend does and he used it to put a very nice edge on my two sets of jointer blades. Did a better job then when the blades were new. Fairly simple to use, but I remember clean up took awhile from the use of a water drip on the stone, which you need. So I would say clean up would be the same any of this type.

I would get one, but I can use his for free :D , so I don't need to buy it. ;)

Ralph DaFoe
10-02-2004, 8:32 AM
Anybody know how this Makita compares to the Veritas Mk.II Power Sharpener? Pros/cons?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=48435&category=1,43072&ccurrency=2&SID=

Tyler Howell
10-02-2004, 8:38 AM
A lesson from my Neander class (go figure).:confused: Can the stones be easily removed for dressing and lapping??

I've heard very good things about the grinder but it looks like it will limit what you can sharpen, leaving out draw knives, jointer and power plane blades.

Not familiar with the chisels can you get a better rate with out the package deal???

craig carlson
10-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Hi,

I have one of these. It works very well on chisels, knives, 8" jointer blades, etc. I haven't tried it on my 15" planner yet. I have three wheels of 60, 1000 and 6000 grit. It was worth the price of admission just to sharpen all of my kitchen knives. There is a web site out there somewhere that does a really nice job of the different ways to use the grinder (jigs, etc.) and how to maintain it, I don't have the URL here at home but I can get it for you, if you want when I go back to work. One draw back is that the thing slings water all over the place. Wheels are a snap to remove.

Craig Carlson
Sebastopol, Ca

Larry Ogborn
10-02-2004, 3:16 PM
Brian

I have the Makita and think its great. I use it
for 13" planer and 8" jointer blades as well as chisles.
I haven't used any other sharpeners but would highly
reccoment the Makita.

Larry

Brian Hale
10-02-2004, 3:26 PM
Thanks guys!

I looked at the Lee Valley setup but it only goes to 12" and i have a 15" planer.

Not sure about the chisels and i don't really need them but with just the 120 grit wheel ($74.00) and the grinder the price is the same as buying them seperatly. I've got a few Marples but it could be nice to have some Free ones that i don't need to worry about it i get stupid.

I've read that these guys can really shoot some water/sludge off the wheels.... Time for a rubber apron??

Craig, i'd interested in the link if you come across it.

Brian

Keith Outten
10-02-2004, 5:07 PM
Brian,

I have owned the Makita for about ten years. I have a 15" planer, 8" joiner and a host of other items I have been sharpening since I bought the Makita. Excellent machine and all your woodworking friends will be happy your bought one.

Mike Wilkins
10-04-2004, 10:53 AM
I have had one for nearly 10 years and it works great. Got mine from Highland
Hardware in Atlanta. I am still using the 1000 grit wheel but it still puts a fine
edge on all my cutting tools. I got the chisel adapter that holds chisels at the
right angle for sharpening.
As for slinging mud; there is a circular plastic ring/fence that surrounds the
wheel to prevent this. The only problem I have is making sure that there is
a container to catch the run-off mud/water out the drain tube. Get a longer
plastic tube from the big box and stick it in an empty 1 liter soda bottle.
The jig for sharpening jointer/planer knives works great; which reminds me I
need to touch mine up sometime soon.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

craig carlson
10-04-2004, 9:53 PM
Hi,
O.K. here's the link to the page that I told you about:

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/Sharpening/sharpening.htm

Maybe I shoud print this out in case the page goes away!

Craig Carlson
Sebastopol, Ca

Boyd Gathwright
10-05-2004, 7:16 PM
Hi Craig,<O:p</O:p

…. Thanks for this information, I have known of the Makita sharpener for months now, after Keith made me aware of its ability and it will most likely be the one I will purchase. You can save this Web Site to a file rather than printing it out if you prefer. “File then Save as” in IE as I did.

Good luck to us all on sharpening.

Boyd ;)

Brian Hale
10-05-2004, 7:49 PM
Thanks for the link Craig!! That gentleman put a lot of effort/time into that write up and it'll take me a bit to absorbe it all.

Thanks
Brian

Maurice Ungaro
10-07-2004, 12:14 PM
I've been using the Scary Sharp system for 18 months now, but want something a little faster. I've been toying with Japanese water stones (HHW sells a NICE 5 stone set for $119) , and would be fine with that for everything except the blades for my new Delta 22-580. So, I've been thinking about something along the lines of the Makita, or the revered Tormek....except, with the Tormek, you have to buy an additional jig for about $140 just to do the planer blades.

I'm leaning towards the Makita, but would also like the flexibility of the waterstones.........any thoughts?

Maurice