PDA

View Full Version : How do you hide 700 lbs of lathe?

Cliff Holmes
11-21-2009, 5:44 AM
My wife's 3520b Christmas present has arrived far earlier than I expected. Now I have to figure out where to hide it until Christmas. It's not like I can stick it on the top shelf of the closet.

Seriously, though, this is my first experience setting up a "real" lathe. Any tips on doing it right the first time?

Alan Zenreich
11-21-2009, 5:46 AM
Well, you could give it to her as an early Christmas present. That way she's very surprised and gets to use it for an extra month.

gary Zimmel
11-21-2009, 6:49 AM
I agree with Alan. Give it to her early.

Then you can get her a bunch of toys for the new 3520b.
They will be much smaller and easier to hide.....

Kurt Bird
11-21-2009, 6:54 AM
Look here for lots of info: http://mustardmonster.weebly.com/

Bruce Lundgren
11-21-2009, 7:19 AM
First make sure you have help doing this. It's extremely heavy! I've seen threads by folks who have done it by using a hydraulic lift cart from HF (which I plan to buy so I can move it around in my garage shop and for other uses) and it looks like a great solution. I just set-up my 3520b with help from the owner of my local Woodcraft store who delivered it with his pick-up truckand backed it into the garage. We uncrated it while still in the truck so were able to slide the bed off onto two workhorses. Two guys with strong backs can do it relatively easily.
Here's how we did it:
1. Use 2 saw horses close to where the lathe will be used and lift and turn the lathe bed upside down and mount the legs. Much easier that way then to try to reach up from underneath. Then install the leveling feet on each leg.
2. We were able then to very carefully turn the bed and leg assembly right-side up while still on the saw horses (which luckily were a little higher than the bed and leg assembly was tall) and carefully slide it off into position.
3. Next level the bed by adjusting the leveling feet.
4. The headstock slid on next. It's very heavy and bulky to handle so be carefull not to drop it (a bad deal and very expensive I bet to repair). Its a bit tricky because the base of the headstock needs to be held pretty level with the bed to slide it on without binding. Oh, make sure when you uncrate the headstock to carefull lay it down (we used the styrofoam packing material to set it on). Don't forget to install the socket head screw to prevent the headstock from accidently sliding off the end of the bed...same when the tailstock is installed. We used a 2X4 as a lever to take the weight off slightly to adjust the leveling foot.
5. Slide on the tool support base and then the tailstock.
6. Check level by lining up the spur point and live center points. If they don't line up you need to adjust the leveling feet.
7. Install the tool caddy and remaining items and you should be good to go.
I'm sure that there are lots of other methods and threads on assembly here and on the mustard users site. Go slowly and lift carefully. You'll also need to buy a plug to fit your 220 outlet (got mine from the local borg). I also made an extension cord using the same plug and receptacle and 10/3 wire which I also use for my table saw on mobile base. Hope this helps. Enjoy..it's a great lathe! Sorry this is so long.

curtis rosche
11-21-2009, 8:04 AM
you could hide it in a friend or neighbors garage. or if you are going to her parents or your parents house for christmas, assemble it there, (it would have to be re assembled at your house, but it would make it more of a suprise)

Richard Jones
11-21-2009, 8:08 AM
My wife's 3520b Christmas present has arrived far earlier than I expected. Now I have to figure out where to hide it until Christmas.

That's easy. Lots of shavings.

I sure hope she appreciates you................ :)

Rich

Hilel Salomon
11-21-2009, 8:20 AM
I vote for early!!!! Also, I would set it up pretty close to where you (or she) will use it. I bought the HF hydraulic table and it is a blessing when you set it up, if you need to move it, and for dozens of other uses.
Luck, Hilel.

Jim Underwood
11-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Or you could just give it to her one piece at a time.... :D

William Payer
11-21-2009, 10:30 AM
You definitely need a second person for a 3520b set up. The other posts are quite good at their hints for assembly. Easiest is if the lathe box is in the bed of a pickup truck. You can slide the bed over the tailgate , install one set of legs, slide out some more, install the other set. But, since its already at home I doubt it is, or will remain in a truck, the other methods are good. Easiest method ould be with a hydraulic cart (Harbor Freight). IT also allows you to move or reposition the lathe in your shop area easily. (Plus its another TOOL !)

You will need a 8 mm allen wrench to assemble it. One that can be used as a socket with a rachet is easiest to use for the leg /bed assembly.

Have fun!

Ron Bontz
11-21-2009, 10:33 AM
I say give it to her early. Then you could look at the pictures while she reads the directions. Oh, unless your spouse is a power lifter I would get a friend to help. Congrats.:)

Ernie Nyvall
11-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Hide it in the refrigerator next to the elephant.:cool:

JerHall
11-21-2009, 11:23 AM
and she may think it is a Oneway that you got for yourself

John M. Smith
11-21-2009, 12:15 PM
I'll let you hide it at my house.

Richard Madison
11-21-2009, 1:00 PM
Or in my shop. John, you beat me to it.

Jim O'Dell
11-21-2009, 1:16 PM
Maybe you could scrounge a big box that a riding mower comes in and throw her off. :D Jim.

Gary Herrmann
11-21-2009, 1:30 PM
Give to her early - assembled - which might be kinda tricky unless she's going to be out of the house for an afternoon.

Chris Stolicky
11-21-2009, 1:51 PM
Hide it in a really big vacuum cleaner box to throw her off! Or was it the toaster oven she wanted.... :confused:

George Morris
11-21-2009, 2:08 PM
Put in the bed of a new pickup for yourself! Great gift early is my vote! You are a great husband! G

Ken Fitzgerald
11-21-2009, 2:17 PM
Paint the shop Mustard yellow and assemble it there?:rolleyes:

Cliff,

I set mine up by myself. I have a Little Giant ladder. I opened the box with the lathe. I removed everthing from the box except the headstock and the bed. I slid the box on the wooden pallet across the shop to where I was going to set it up.

Then I set up my Little Giant Ladder. I put a piece of 4x4 across the top rung and wrapped a piece of logging chain around it. I hooked a Come-along to the chain and the other end of the Come-along to one end of the lathe bed. I raised that end using the Come-along. I installed one of the leg assemblies. I set it down...repositioned the ladder. Attached the Come-along to the other end of the lathe bed and raised that end. I moved the box and pallet out from under that end....attached the 2nd leg assembly and set it down.

Then it was a matter of leveling it...putting on the tailstock...etc.