PDA

View Full Version : Most usefull course you took?

Rick Potter
11-21-2009, 3:01 AM
Just wondering what was your most usefull course in high school?

Easy for me to answer. I don't know how I even got signed up for it, but over my lifetime my most usefull course was typing. Good thing, because my writing is illegible.

Rick Potter

Clay Crocker
11-21-2009, 6:23 AM
+1 on typing class.

Public speaking was also very useful.

ROY DICK
11-21-2009, 7:07 AM
Wood Shop.

Roy

curtis rosche
11-21-2009, 8:13 AM
baking and pastry. learned how to make some great desserts :)

Shawn Pixley
11-21-2009, 9:34 AM
Honors Geometry. I learned so much about logical thinking and proofs that have supported my ongoing educational efforts to this day. While I am fairly advanced in mathmatics, I'd go back and take it again - I am sure I would learn something else. I didn't hurt that the teacher hated me and wanted me out of the class, so I had to ace it.

Brent Gamble
11-21-2009, 9:45 AM
Speed reading. I took it when I was a senior. Just about quadrupled my reading speed and increased my comprehension level over what is was before. Served me very well in law school and in my career. Wish I'd taken typing as well.

Ron Jones near Indy
11-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Typing is used several times a day. Other valuable classes include senior English, drafting, algebra, geometry and woods.

David G Baker
11-21-2009, 10:33 AM
I am with Rick. I was threatened with being held back in the 6th grade due to poor penmanship so I have to go with typing. My first major purchase in life was a typewriter when I was around 7. Math was my next most useful course. I should have paid better attention in English class because my sentence structures frequently need help beyond my abilities. Farm shop helped a lot in the real world.

Jim Finn
11-21-2009, 3:04 PM
High school? wow, that is long ago. Well I worked in construction all my life so the academic classes I took in High school did me little help in my career.
Best course I ever took, long after high school ,was a union course on Blueprint Reading.

Michael O'Sullivan
11-21-2009, 3:14 PM
It wasn't exactly a course, but in my 7th and 8th grade English classes, we had to write a paragraph on a given topic in about 5 minutes. We did that exercise countless times, and I am very sure that it was the single most beneficial thing I learned in school. If you can construct a logical, easily-comprehended paragraph, you can write anything.

Paul Atkins
11-21-2009, 3:33 PM
High school - typing. College - journalism (I had to learn to spell).

Pete Schupska
11-21-2009, 6:59 PM
High School - either Calc. or Wood Shop... but not because it's a hobby now. Our class required pre-planning and layout calculations and cost estimates before even touching a tool. That forethought has been invaluable.

College - Mechanics of Deformable Solids or Heat Transfer... but that's just for the current job.

phil harold
11-21-2009, 8:32 PM
Speed reading still serves me to this day!

Mac McQuinn
11-21-2009, 9:09 PM
High School; Michigan History
College; Technical Writing

Mac

Paul Ryan
11-21-2009, 10:12 PM
This might scare some people but my most useful classes probably were the algebra, and calc classes I had in college. I use algrebra everytime I am in the wood shop and dont realize it until later. The 2nd would be graduate level psycology. It helpes me identify what type of personality I am speaking to and relate to them quicker which makes my job and previous positions easier.

Montgomery Scott
11-22-2009, 8:49 PM
Trigonometry.

Jim McFarland
11-22-2009, 9:09 PM
+1 re typing as most useful high school course. Another benefit was 18 girls and only 1 other boy in the class!

Gene Howe
11-22-2009, 9:31 PM
Most useful? American History. It was also the easiest 'cause there wasn't as much of it.:D:D

Alan Trout
11-22-2009, 9:33 PM
Typing and speed reading. I use both every day of the week.

Alan

Brian Kent
11-22-2009, 9:40 PM
Marching Band and Math. I enjoy my music all the time and use the math all the time.

I wish I had taken typing because I am looking at the keyboard right now.

Jon Lanier
11-22-2009, 11:55 PM
I hate saying this, but English. If you can't communicate the other things are useless.

David Duke
11-23-2009, 9:29 AM
+1 re typing as most useful high school course. Another benefit was 18 girls and only 1 other boy in the class!

Sounds like me, only I was the only boy :D:D. All kidding aside typing has been the most obvious useful course outside of the core classes.

Steve Rozmiarek
11-23-2009, 9:46 AM
Trigonometry in high school, and calculus in college.

Jim Becker
11-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Remembering High School isn't easy...but I don't think there was any one course that was a standout over another. In college, I'll say that my accounting courses have had the most use since graduation, although not recently.

Eddie Watkins
11-23-2009, 1:14 PM
Typing has been useful but speed reading has been the high school class that has benefited me the most. In college, I took a Personal Finance course that explained all the basic financial areas from balancing a checkbook to understanding insurance choices to a basic understanding of stocks and bonds. I use knowledge gained in that class still, and reading 600-700 wpm helps a bunch. I wish I typed that fast.

Mark Patoka
11-23-2009, 3:34 PM
Trigonometry ended up being the most useful. When I enlisted in the Air Force in 1985, having taken Trig allowed me to become an Engineering Assistant where I learned drafting and surveying. It also paid a cash bonus at the time. It led me on a very successful AF career and if I hadn't had HS Trig, I wouldv'e ended up in some other career field.

Typing was also very beneficial just from a functional standpoint.

Ben Hatcher
11-23-2009, 3:51 PM
Latin. It helped my english more than you might expect.

Jerome Hanby
11-23-2009, 4:10 PM
Geometry. Proving those theorems was pretty close to writing a computer program. I was really good at that kind of reasoning and never looked back.

Dean Karavite
11-23-2009, 6:49 PM
Russian Studies. I took it as an elective from a teacher who was rumored to to be the hardest teacher in the school. He turned out to be a great guy. I was not known for my scholastic attitude, so I did this as a way to prove to myself I could handle it. I did well and learned a great deal, not just about Russia, but in how to study and be a serious student. It paid off in college and grad school.

Eric Larsen
11-24-2009, 2:35 AM
High School - Economics. I had a great teacher for economics. Great teachers are few and far between, and this guy was great. He taught college level macro and micro economics in the span of one semester, and also ran an investing club that more than doubled my investment over the course of a few months. (Although, our class had the highest return ever. And he might have had insider information. In fairness, I cannot substantiate that. It may have been a hot tip from his broker.)

College -- Too many to list. I went to a good school.

First: My first professor in my first class on my first day of school. Western Civ 101. He made history come alive. And he also handed me my diploma. (Luck of the draw.) Our picture together is framed and hanging in the house to this day.

He started the class by saying, "Look to your left. Look to your right. These people won't be here for the final exam. Just kidding. This is Western Civ. Let's have some fun with this."

Here's an example from his class:

"George Washington. Here he is in the iconic painting about to cross the Delaware River into New Jersey to fight the Hessians. Anyone know what he said just before that historic crossing? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

He said, "Shift your fat ass, Harry. But don't swamp the ------- boat.*" (Referring to Harry Knox, artillery officer from Boston.)

Second: My journalism professor. I had this guy for roughly a dozen classes. He taught me how to write well. I will always be indebted.

Writing for him was like masonry:

"Here's the foundation (a bunch of writing tips). Here's the brick (more tips). Here's the decorative stuff."

Notable quote: I don't care if it follows the rules. Does it work?

You have to hand it to someone who teaches the rules. And then teaches how to break all the rules as long as the end result is professional.

*From a scholarly article written about the Battle of Trenton:

"The general, in an age noted for forthright language, had a most extraordinary command of gutter language; and whatever the exact words at the moment, it broke up the men on the dock. Half-hysterical already, their laughter was contagious. "What did he say? What did he say?" went down the line of waiting men. The story grew in the telling, and the men, wet, miserable, dispirited, became hysterical with laughter.
http://www.trussel.com/hf/empty10.gifA few hours later, as dawn was breaking, two thousand half-naked, bearded, screaming kids, with no shot fired - a flintlock musket is useless in the rain - poured into Trenton and captured the entire Hessian garrison without losing a man; and once again, the United States of America became a possibility."

Tom Winship
11-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Mine was high school trigonometry probably 50 years ago. Mrs. Addis Smith taught us the following:
Oscar Had A Heap Of Apples
Oscar/Had=O/H=Opposite/Hypotenuse=Sin
A/Heap=A/H=Adjacent/Hyptoenuse=Cosine
Of/Apples=O/A=Opposite/Adjacent=Tangent
This has stuck with me through getting an engineering degree, through my working career, even to today.