PDA

View Full Version : Maple "ring" box

David Walser
11-21-2009, 1:53 AM
At our last club meeting, I won the "bring back" drawing. Meaning, I got to take home the bring back turning (a nice yellow heart yo-yo) and was obliged to turn something to bring back to the next meeting. I had a small block of curly maple left over from another project, so I thought I'd make a small box -- just large enough to hold someone's wedding rings on a nightstand. The form is something new for me and I'd appreciate honest feedback. I hope whoever wins it likes it. If not, I'll gladly buy it back. (I think I'm willing to go as high as $5.)

The box has a loose fitting lid. By design. Honest! I wanted the user to be able to open the box with one hand, allowing the other hand to remove the ring inside.

I case any of our club members read this and wonder why I'm not at the meeting, I won't be able to attend the meeting (Saturday, the 21st) because a friend of ours died and his funeral conflicts with the meeting. I did deliver the bring back to our club President's son Friday evening. (I'm only mentioning this in case any club members wonder what happened to my bring back. Check with the club President!)

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2009, 8:58 AM
Very nice looking box. Form looks good. Well done.

Jim Kountz
11-21-2009, 9:00 AM
I really like this one, great form and function. The idea of a loose lid on something like this makes perfect sense to me.

David E Keller
11-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I like it... love lidded boxes.

Richard Madison
11-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Looks good from here David. Loose lid is good. Have had too many snug fits become permanent.

George Morris
11-21-2009, 2:14 PM
Very pretty box! A loose fit top is much better then a snap fit. We are the only ones who care about a snap fit. The public want to open the top with one hand.

Very nice work on the box! G

David Walser
11-21-2009, 7:07 PM
I appreciate the support.