PDA

View Full Version : Which mini ligno moisture meter?

Josh Reet
11-20-2009, 11:27 PM
There are a couple different mini ligno moisture meters. One goes from 6-20% one goes from 6-36% one goes from 6-45% some are LED some are LCD one has a probe you can buy and attach.

Any difference between these for the average woodworker who wants to get into using some non-kiln dried wood? I found a good deal on the 6-20% LED one. But if that isn't going to be a large enough range, I won't bother.

Mark Warwick
11-21-2009, 3:49 AM
What are you going to do with it? go into the forest and check trees or check lumber in your shop?

If you have 45% moisture in your shop wood i'd say there is a leak in the roof.

I'd not need the one's above 20%. what would be the point?

Larry Edgerton
11-21-2009, 5:32 AM
The Delmhorst model.:)

I had a Mini Ligno that malfunctioned and cost me thousands. I would spend the extra on a Delmhorst. Mine has been functioning correctly for 17 years now.

James White
11-21-2009, 8:22 AM
There are a couple different mini ligno moisture meters. One goes from 6-20% one goes from 6-36% one goes from 6-45% some are LED some are LCD one has a probe you can buy and attach.

Any difference between these for the average woodworker who wants to get into using some non-kiln dried wood? I found a good deal on the 6-20% LED one. But if that isn't going to be a large enough range, I won't bother.

Josh,

If you are going to air dry lumber I would get the higher range one. Lumber can start at 80% or higher. It would be nice to know were you are at sooner rather that later. If I am not mistaken the higher range one also has the species correction.

James

ian maybury
11-21-2009, 9:43 AM
Lignomat seem to have a pretty good name if browsing around various forums is anything to go by. Woodeb has lots on meters and wood drying there, quite a bit in the context of people kiln drying as well as cabinet making.

The higher range Mini Ligno also has a socket for a remote hammer-in probe on a cable which some reckon is a good idea if you are thinking of doing some kiln drying...

ian

Josh Reet
11-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Well it seems I've got some conflicting advice here. Mark says over 20% isn't needed, James says that the higher range is going to be useful.

Just as a point of clarification, all of the mini lignos that I have seen have some sort of species correction.

Richard M. Wolfe
11-21-2009, 1:08 PM
I'm with Mark on the moisture reading. Lumber needs to be dried to a range of no more than 10-12%, depending on species. It is nice to satisfy your curiosity, but if it pegs at 20% you know it's too wet.

Glen Butler
11-21-2009, 5:33 PM
You won't want to use wood that is 20% moisture, so you won't need a meter that goes higher than that. But allow me to give my two cents. My research led me to buy a delmhorst J-lite. Economical and well built. It will also tell you if your would is drier than 6%.