PDA

View Full Version : teak table and floating vanity on teak stand

Andrew Hughes
11-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I would like to share these two pieces i made last year.Teak hall table with white oak drawer sides macasser ebony feet.Ebony handles.The drawer
bottems are yellow cedar.I also made the cushion on the seat i filled it with a natural fiber.To give it a old world feel to sit on.

The vanity tops i cut from the same slab of blackheart sasafras.I cut a bevel on the sides of 7 degrees if i remember right.To sit in the teak stand zero fasteners only the weight of the sink holding it down.My version of a floating table top.

The 8/4 teak i used was well seasoned and still 15% mc inside must take 100 years to dry.
The sassafras was a joy to cut smells like rootbeer.Thanks for looking.

Michael Schwartz
11-20-2009, 11:14 PM
beautifull work, and design.

Thomas Pender
11-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Expensive and simple. In a word, perfect.

The ebony accents are striking. I can only imagine how hard it was to make the drawer pulls and feet. I also never would have thought to use white oak drawer sides with the teak - really good idea!

The vanities are unique, they look like they should be in an exhibit at MOMA as works of art.

Teak is unique - you do not want it to dry (IMHO). Looks terrible when it does. You just re-oil it as needed. I have spent many hours doing so using Watco teak oil.

Congratulations.

Tom

David Gendron
11-21-2009, 1:41 AM
Nice work! Do you have pictures of the top of the vanity top? I have a dining table to make out of Black hart Sassafra and would like to see what it look like with some finish on it!
Thank you

gary Zimmel
11-21-2009, 6:42 AM
Nice work on the hall table and vanity Andrew.

John Keeton
11-21-2009, 7:14 AM
Great work, Andrew. I really like the hall table - just a beautiful work of art. Very nice work on the vanities, as well. As others have noted, you have done a great job of combining various woods into a very pleasing result. And, if you were responsible for the overall design work, you have done a remarkable job of making the whole area very appealing.

John Thompson
11-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Extremely nice job, Andrew. I think the combination of woods looks great together as it all just flows into one IMO. I love the smell of sassafras also even though I haven't experiened it in years. I grew up on a small street a block off the town square in Georgia. The street name was Sassafras Alley and there was definitely a reason for that. :)

Latter after the town got bigger and bigger from the influx of people moving to the south.. it was renamed Lucky Street for whatever reason. But the sassafras is still there I understand.

Great job...

Andrew Hughes
11-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the comments.I was only part of the design of the tables.The customer chose the wood.Here are the pics of the tops.I use shellac on most of my work.The best i could offer on the vanitys was varnish since i have no spray equipment.Which made it hard to get pictures of.
Thanks again for looking.

Mark Valsi
11-21-2009, 10:52 PM
You have shown us how dovetails should be made and applied !! WOW !

keith ouellette
11-22-2009, 3:55 PM
love that hall table. Great work.