PDA

View Full Version : Willams & Hussey vs.. Bridgewood

Perry Holbrook
10-01-2004, 9:45 PM
I'm starting to research small moulders for an upcoming purchase. I know the Williams & Hussey has a good reputation. Bridgewood has a unit that seems to be the same machine except it has more power and a slightly larger capacity. The Bridgewood is about $600 less. Anybody have actual experience with either/or both? Thanks

Perry

Paul B. Cresti
10-01-2004, 9:50 PM
Perry,

I am very interested in the Bridgewood also. It looks like a dead ringer for the WH. It would need some investigation though to make sure it takes the same knives. WH knives are very easy to find these days. Please let me know if you find out anything.

Jim Becker
10-01-2004, 10:04 PM
I don't know much about the Bridgewood, but my cabinetmaker neighbor has the W&H and it's a wonderful machine. John Millnus has and older one that he recently reconditioned...there is a thread here on SMC about it.

John Miliunas
10-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Hey guys, not familiar with the new Bridgewood, though I believe Grizzly also now carries its cousin. What I am familiar with is the W&H. Let's just say that, if the Bridgewood (and I actually DO like Bridgewood products!) or Grizz would've been left in the condition in which I found the W&H, I have my doubts that either would've survived! At least, not without major part replacements. My resto job mainly consisted of a LOT of elbow grease, WD-40, spray paint and patience. :) I guess what I'm saying is, I'd bet that the quality of materials used on the W&H will most probably be of higher caliber. That's not to say that if, any of the machines are properly maintained, that they all wouldn't function for a long time to come. :)

Anyhow, here are the links to my W&H restoration:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6180&highlight=restoration
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6350&highlight=restoration
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6549&highlight=restoration

For the record, I too would be interested in knowing if the knife configurations are interchangeable! I've got a few, but you never know when something unique comes along! :cool:

Dennis McDonaugh
10-02-2004, 11:07 AM
A lot of equipment comes out of the same factories in Taiwan or China with different paint for differnt manufacturers. In that case, one would be just as good as the other.

I don't think WH moulders fall into that category. I just read an article on the company (can't remember where) and it said they were 100 percent American made. Since Taiwan and China have so little regard for intellectual property, it wouldn't surprise me that someone made a clone of the WH machine. However, they wouldn't be identical to the WH machine because they wouldn't come off the same assembly line. That's not to say the Bridgewood is not a good machine. I just wouldn't expect it to be of comparable quality to the WH.

Perry Holbrook
10-02-2004, 11:23 AM
The Bridgewood people tell me the knives are interchangeable. I have several Bridgewood machines and have found them to be one of the most honest companies I have dealt with, so I'm taking their word for it.

I'm pretty sure there don't come from the same factory, WH does say their machine is American made.

Perry

John Miliunas
10-02-2004, 9:29 PM
I'm pretty sure there don't come from the same factory, WH does say their machine is American made.

Perry

Can't swear to today's W&H, but mine sure was made right here in the good old US of A! :D Right on down to the Baldor motor! :)

As for Bridgewood, the OEM and Wilke Machinery, the vendor...Well, I've been extremely happy with both! :) I had a BW dust collector, which worked just fine. I still have one of their Yorkcraft lathe's and it too has been a good value. Finally, I have their BW10LTS cabinet saw and I'll stand that puppy up against the big guns any day of the week! :D Wilke's Customer Service has also been A-1! :cool:

mike lucas
10-02-2004, 9:53 PM
I don't think WH moulders fall into that category. I just read an article on the company (can't remember where) and it said they were 100 percent American made. Since Taiwan and China have so little regard for intellectual property, it wouldn't surprise me that someone made a clone of the WH machine. However, they wouldn't be identical to the WH machine because they wouldn't come off the same assembly line. That's not to say the Bridgewood is not a good machine. I just wouldn't expect it to be of comparable quality to the WH.

I read on W&H`s web site some time back that the Taiwan companies have started cloning (If that is what is really is, as W&H`s machines are much better) their machine. Most company that designs something unique like the W&H molder gets them self a patent to protect it. The problem starts when the time limit of the patent runs out. At this time all the worms come out of the wood work. This is exactly what has happens. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I guess this is supposed to be a good thing. It is designed to allow others to cash in on the easy money. But it don't seem right to me! The clone very seldom is as well built as the original, but it almost always helps by bringing in more competition and lowers the price.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>