PDA

View Full Version : HF screw chuck

Mike Minto
11-20-2009, 8:46 PM
hey, anyone used or even seen HF's 1x8 screw chuck? worth $12?

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2009, 9:01 PM
Link Mike????

Mike Minto
11-20-2009, 9:08 PM
bernie, didn't find it online; i was in a local HF yesterday, and looked at it - couldn't be any cheesier than a shopmade out of wood and a screw, i thought, but wanted to ask around first. they had 4 or 5. i did buy a small package of 5 pieces of HSS steel for about $5 - from china, of course - small square, round and flat profile pieces of metal for tool making.

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2009, 9:12 PM
Yea I don't know Mike. Sounds pretty cheap and probably not well made but could be wrong.

Mike Peace
11-21-2009, 1:17 PM
I looked at those at HF but decided I probably would not get much use out of it as my SN2 has a screw chuck and I would need to take off the spindle adapter that I keep on my G3 chuck to use on my PM.

I made a nice thin parting tool out of the flat cut off blade iin your tool bit set that I use on ornaments and finials. You can also use it to make a chatter tool.

Mike Minto
11-22-2009, 9:34 AM
mike, yeah, think i'll make my own screw chuck out of one of the nova screws i have. re the tool bit set, that''s exactly what i'm doing with the flat bar - making a parting tool; might get another to make the chatter tool you're talking about - you say it works well for that, eh?

Ryan Baker
11-22-2009, 4:12 PM
I've seen that one at HF. It's pretty cheap. I'd stay away from it. The screw will likely snap off the first time you try to use it ... or the blank would come righ toff the screw. A simple wood screw through a plate can't compare at all to the woodworm screws that come with chucks.

Joshua Dinerstein
11-22-2009, 7:23 PM
I've seen that one at HF. It's pretty cheap. I'd stay away from it. The screw will likely snap off the first time you try to use it ... or the blank would come righ toff the screw. A simple wood screw through a plate can't compare at all to the woodworm screws that come with chucks.
I have 2 of them. I figured "what the heck". I took the screw out of one and use it as a flat face plate with external screws on a sanding wheel. For that purpose it has worked great.

I used the second on a whim as a screw chuck. While i have not experienced any fragility in it I have found that as a screw chuck it leaves a bit to be desired. The screw has stripped out on my every time.

That is OK. I bought it as a cheap faceplate for temporary uses and for that it does work well enough. For just a bit more I would be far more tempted by a few of the aluminum faceplates I have seen for sale out there.

Joshua