PDA

View Full Version : Radial Arm Saw Station/Bench

zayd alle
11-20-2009, 7:22 PM
Hello, folks.

I recently brought home a DeWalt GWI (pic attached) that I'd like to incorporate into a long bench along a long wall of my garage (yet to be built). My question relates to how folks usually do this. For a saw like this, is it wisest to built the bench/fence so that it aligns with the stand-alone saw/stand, or do most attach the saw to the custom bench? I'd imagine the way to do this would be to use the base structure without the legs and attach that to custom bench. Or I could simply attach the saw column using beefy angle iron anchored to the (well-supported) bench in place of the factory structure.

Just looking for ideas and suggestions on this. The same bench will also house the miter saw, benchtop mortiser, and maybe benchtop drill press.

Thanks!

Zayd

Jim O'Dell
11-20-2009, 8:00 PM
I've got a 24' wall that I built 2 benches on with a 3' section open in the middle (in front of a box bay window). I have each of my tools I want to use on this bench on mobile stands that will "dock" into the open section in the middle. Gives me 10'+ on each side of the opening. My lowly Craftsman RAS will roll into this, as will my SCMS, and lunch box planer. I will eventually build a platform for my scroll saw, a down draft sanding station, and other items that will just "sit" into the open area (on a ledge on each side), for use when needed, but not be on mobile bases. That way I have my DC piping at that spot instead of at several spaces. It would be easy to build in a fence system using t-track that would allow you to move the fence to line up with different tools. I made my fence fixed with t-track running the full length for some home made stops for repeat cuts on the saws. Works fine so far. Just an idea. Jim.

Steve King
11-20-2009, 8:01 PM
What I did when I got a RAS (that I didn’t need, but for next to nothing) was to line it up to the longest wall in the shop. I built the bench around the saw so I could cut lumber to the left of the saw at 15 ‘and 6 ‘on the right. Than I mounted my CMS to the left and used the same fence for both. It takes time to set every thing up but it works great for me.
Steve

Nick Lazz
11-20-2009, 9:09 PM
I am doing something similar to Steve's setup. I can post pictures in the next day or so if you want.
Basically, I got rid of the stand and built it in to my bench. The RAS is the main cut off machine I use. So the fence will incorporate the kreg T-Trak with stops and measuring tape. My MS is to the right of my RAS and I intend to use it only for angled cuts, but it will share the same fence system. I have 10' to the left of the saw and 6' to the right which includes the MS.

The portion of the top in front of my RAS is deeper than the rest of the bench and is removable. I also incorporated a 2" by 21" strip under the blade that I can replace as necessary.
If you get used to using a RAS, you will like it and learn that it is more versatile than what you may think. However, since they are a bit finicky to keep tuned, I only use mine for 90 deg cuts. I started using one when I worked in a door and window shop and now, I don't know what I would do without one.

Neal Clayton
11-21-2009, 1:01 AM
i'd start with the RAS structure, simply because it'll be easier to align that saw.

RAS's are kind of a bear to perfectly square up, on the upside once you get it square it'll stay that way, but using the factory base will make that initial set up a bit easier.

Rick Potter
11-21-2009, 2:09 AM
Mine's on TOP of the bench with the chop saw next to it on the right. They both use the same fence system that goes about 4' to the left. By putting it on top of the bench with the fence system only 6" wide, you still have use for the bench for cutoffs, tools, etc. It also puts the RAS up at a good usable height for me.

Rick Potter

zayd alle
11-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks, guys. Great ideas. And Steve -- great looking setup. Thanks for posting the pic.

Looking at my options and the setup of my saw, it makes the most sense to use the saw's base structure in my bench. I only have about 18 feet to work with, so I think I'll line up the RAS with 8'R/10'L and then have the CMS directly to the left of it, so that I can also stick my benchtop planer in the CMS spot and hopefully end up with enough infeed/outfeed space to plane a full 8' board (although anything longer will require I plane outside). Then the benchtop mortiser can be further down on the left.

Don't know if that made any sense, but I'll post pics when its done. I just finished my pivoting sheet goods/cutoffs storage rack today, so the long bench is the next project.

Thanks again.

Zayd