PDA

View Full Version : Help- Router Bit Problem!

Bob Winkler
10-01-2004, 9:06 PM
I can't figure it out. Every time I try to use my spiral bits in my router table, they won't work. THEY ARE TOO LONG! I can't lower my router enough for less than about 1/2" sticking out of my table. That won't work for 1/4" deep dados.

What should I do. I hate to use my cheap 1/4" shank straight bit because of the quality of the cut. Do they make "shorter" 1/2" shank spiral bits? I guess I could make a 3/4" auxiliary top, but then I can't use my nice fence.

Do other routers have more travel? I have the Bosch VS router which I love. I do have a PC690, but my table isn't drilled for it. Any good ideas?

Bob

Gary Max
10-01-2004, 9:17 PM
Make a spacer between the router and the table---????
Just a thought

Jerry Olexa
10-01-2004, 11:14 PM
I am not familiar w the Bosch but I've used the 690 and there is plenty of room or adjustment, You may have to get a new plate for your PC router or maybe drill new holes in the current one, Any router should have enough play for an adjustment as you describe. What is the length of the shaft? Sorry I can't be more specific but I don't have your router in my hands, Hope it works out..

Keith Outten
10-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Bob,

Visit your local machine shop supply and purchase a 1/4" end mill, either 2 or 4 flute. End mills are cheaper, more precise and have a higher quality cut than router bits.

Tom Hintz
10-02-2004, 3:59 AM
Bob,
Can you use the plunge base in the table? They usually have more travel than fixed bases.

Bob Winkler
10-02-2004, 12:55 PM
I figured it out. After reading some of your replies, I decided to take a closer look at my router. Duh, what I didn't realize was that in addition to a knurled knob for fine adjustments, and it also has a lever to push for quick macro adjustments. I could move the housing down 1 click which gave me a whole new range of fine adjustment.

I feel so stupid-guess I should have read the manual after all.
Thanks for all your replies.

Bob

Tom Hintz
10-02-2004, 1:15 PM
Bob,
Let's watch this admitting to having read instructions! We might have to fine you a pint of testosterone or so....
We all should read the instructions, and probably do, but in PRIVATE! If women get wind that this reading deal is wide spread amoug men we may never hear the end of it...

Shhh!