PDA

View Full Version : Pair of Bonkers

Richard Madison
11-20-2009, 2:17 PM
Actually they are potato mashers. The one on the left belonged to my wife's grandmother and suffered much abuse at the hands of my wife's mother. It is thought to be well over 100 years old. My wife finally realized she needed a new potato masher and placed an order with her resident woodturner. Said order appeared instantly at the top of the list, and a relatively few hours later the masher on the right appeared in the kitchen.

Been working on "form" lately, so this was an excellent exercise. Both about 11" tall. The new one is spalted cedar-elm from the one tree that had to be cut to squeeze the new shop amongst the other trees, about 3 years ago. Not a perfect copy but pretty close.

C. and C. welcome.

charlie knighton
11-20-2009, 2:26 PM
nice bonkers, Richard

Bob Borzelleri
11-20-2009, 2:29 PM
Nice new masher. Regarding the original, I would have been tempted to turn it down to reveal never been seen wood. Then your wife could use it for those cute little "new" potatoes. :D

Richard Madison
11-20-2009, 5:57 PM
Thanks guys. Would really like to know what kind of wood the original was made from, but that would require further damaging it. Probably better to leave as a family heirloom with the existing "patina" intact.

Chris Haas
11-20-2009, 9:32 PM
what, bonkers.... i thought i was going to see a pair of HONKERS i guess thats a different forum. nice mallets though.

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2009, 9:32 PM
Great looking masher Richard. Just don't upset the wife as that thing could make a pretty good knot on the side of your head.:eek::D;)

Richard Madison
11-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks Bernie. Always good to put the wife's "job orders" at #1 on the list whenever feasible. I would be in deep trouble without her to look after me, so it makes sense to respond to her requests as effectively as possible.

Harvey Ghesser
11-21-2009, 7:43 AM
Nice work Richard! And you managed to intervene, just in time.... before the ravages of time and use rendered the original complete nutrition for the local population of wood boring varmints.:D

Harv

Richard Madison
11-21-2009, 1:15 PM
Thanks Harvey. Wish I had noticed the sorry condition of the original years ago. Better late than too late.

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2009, 7:34 PM
Nice work on this Richard! Glad you were able to save the original! This reminds me of my first ever turned piece - way back in 7th grade shop class in 196...... something. I remember turning my potato masher as per design dimensions, got a great grade and was able to take it home for Mom to use. Very proud moment there! Makes me wonder what ever happened to it.....

Nice work! Thanks for the memories!

Richard Madison
11-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks Steve. After studying the original a bit, I was quite impressed with its smooth curvatures and transitions. IMHO it was really a very nice turning.