PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Chisel Mortiser

Paul Canaris
11-20-2009, 2:17 PM
I would like to hear opinions on anyone’s experience with any of the following manufacturers Hollow Chisel Mortisers.
I am looking at purchasing one of the following:
Laguna – Platinum; the Powermatic 719T or the Grizzly G4814. Input from anyone who has used any of these would be appreciated.

Bryan Cowing
11-20-2009, 10:10 PM
I have one that's the same as the Laguna hollow chisel with stand. It's heavy , stays put and easy to use. Hobby shop use only. I sold a small General bench top to get this one so I could do 7" high stock. Love the sliding table and cross sliding vise, makes quick set-up. Buy the best chisels you can find. I made an adapter out of a bronze bushing to use the 5/8 shank General Chisels in the 3/4" mortiser.

Gary Herrmann
11-21-2009, 7:29 PM
The Jet JFM5 is a rebadged Powermatic 719A. Very good mortiser. I'm quite happy with mine, so if you don't need the tilting head, you can probably pick one up for a good price.

Mike Heidrick
11-22-2009, 12:58 AM
I also have the JFM5 and it is a real nice machine. We got great deals on them this time last year so that is the only reason I have one.

Tim Lory would make you a good deal on the Laguna one I am betting. Give him a call.

Tom Hintz
11-22-2009, 1:35 AM
I have a full review of the PM 719 at the first link below. Very nice machine, especially if the tilt bed feature is needed in your shop. The second link is to my review of the similar JET mortiseer that does not have the tilt feature. the Jet is the one I went with simply because I do not need tilt.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm719trvu.html

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jetjfm5rvu.html

Paul Canaris
11-22-2009, 8:44 AM
You mentioned Hobby use only. Do you mean the machine is lightweight or you have only subjected it to hobby use? For the next few years my usage will be hobby, but after that it will be full time.

Thanks to everyone. Great responses, thanks guys.

Kent A Bathurst
11-22-2009, 11:35 AM
My PM 719A is a terrific machine. I don't have any regular need for a tilt, and when I do a shim/cleat takes care of that just fine, but they don't make the A anymore, just the T - am sure that is also a terrific machine. Mine came with a cabinet, which I have never used, because I wanted it on my back bench so I could use temp stands for long stretchers.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Paul,

One other you might consider is General or General International. I just bought the 5/8" General International mortiser with the tilting head. Pretty nice machine.

I'd certainly advice considering their products before I bought one.