PDA

View Full Version : I lost a good friend today

Joe Mioux
10-01-2004, 8:58 PM
Hi everyone:

I lost a good friend today. About three weeks ago, Ron was diagnosed with a malignent brain tumor. Last Sunday, the St Louis University Hospital staff performed emergency brain surgery to remove the tumor. Due to complications, i.e infections and other things, he suffered a heart attack and died today.

He was 68. I grew up with his oldest kids. They live across the street from my folks house and my business. When he retired from the Army Corps of Engineers, he worked for me as a seasonal delivery driver. I can't tell you all how often, during the busy season (Christmas Poinsettias and Easter Lily and Hydrangea wholesale seasons), that I would load the truck late at night knowing that Ron had the keys to the truck and would be on the road at 4:30 am making my deliveries. He would come back at mid morning and we would have another truck loaded and ready for him to "go" and deliver. Often times, we would have a third truck loaded and he would take off. There were many nights that I would be home and he was still on the road. He loved doing it. Even with a very bad hip (prior to hip replacement) he made my wholesale plant deliveries. Ron would take a concrete block, use that as a step to climb up in the truck. He would then take his kane and hook the block and pull it up in the truck so he could use it when he got out. He wanted to be helpful and productive.

Back in the 1950's, he helped build missile silos in the Dakotas and in the 1960's he helped build the launch pad at Cape Kennedy. He moved here when the corps was ready to open Illinois' largest man made lake.

When hurricanes would hit Florida or the east coast, often he would volunteer and help with the clean up. He would be gone for weeks. He loved that kind of stuff.

He once told me that being retired "was not all what it was cracked up to be".

I'm going to miss him.

joe

Jim Becker
10-01-2004, 9:00 PM
It's sad to lose a friend like that...sorry to hear of it, Joe. Remember him with a smile on your face.

Kent Cori
10-01-2004, 9:03 PM
Joe,

Wow, it sure sounds like Ron was a great guy and friend. I am sorry you lost him but I'll bet the farm that he valued your friendship every day. God bless.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-01-2004, 9:16 PM
Joe...my deepest sympathies! The world could use a few more "Rons"!

John Miliunas
10-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Hey Joe, guess maybe it's YOUR turn to deliver Ron some flowers. It's tough to find people and friends like that, so be consoled with the fact that you were fortunate enough to experience that through Ron. You have my condolences and I'll say an extra little prayer to the Big Guy for your buddy.

Jerry Olexa
10-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Joe, you lost a treasured friend!! They aren't many like him today! He appears to be unselfish, loyal and willing to work for others. Again. I wish there were more like Ron. You were privileged to know him...

Dennis Peacock
10-03-2004, 7:31 AM
Sorry to hear of you loss Joe. Ron was a great man and I admire folks like him and I strive to be like that. People need people to "care", to share life experiences with, to love and to laugh with. Ron appears to have been one of those people. Our prayers are with you and Ron's family.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-03-2004, 8:37 AM
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Joe. Ron lived a wonderful life full of helping people in need, and I am sure he is being rewarded for his kind deeds. It is tough to lose a friend like Ron, because they are so rare these days. I will remember your family and Ron's in my thoughts and prayers. Sounds like great memories, cherish them, and think of Ron always.

Joe Mioux
10-05-2004, 7:49 PM
Jim, Kent, Ken, Jerry, John, Dennis & Kevin; Thank you for the kind words. I was a pall bearer at Ron's funeral today. I have been a pall bearer several times prior to today, but this one was the hardest.

None of you know me (other than the posts here at SMC), but I can tell you that your sentiments have helped. God bless you all.

Thank you
Joe

John Miliunas
10-05-2004, 9:56 PM
Joe, judging by the quality of your general posts and by your actions as a fellow human being, I'd be honored to know you in person or "long distance". Take care.

Greg Tatum
10-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Please accept my condolences on your loss. Your post says volumes about the character of the man. I believe he is smiling at you even now.

Regards,
Greg