PDA

View Full Version : Path Train in NY City

Peter Stahl
11-20-2009, 1:38 PM
Anyone use the Path Train into NY City? There's the Newark, Jersey City and Hoboken stations, which is best/easiest to get in and out of. Might go there at XMas to see lights and store decorations. I think Newark would be closest but don't know how safe it would be if we came back late.

thanks, Pete

Prashun Patel
11-20-2009, 1:51 PM
I commuted on the PATH for years.

It's pretty safe; about as much as the subway. Beware that if you're coming back later than about 11p, the service gets spotty; you might be waiting (warm on the platform, albeit) for 30 minutes+.

You have a couple options:

1) Park in Jersey City, and take the Path from Exchange Place or Newport/Pavonia. However, the Path only runs up to about 33rd street, so you'd need to cab it or walk up to Rockafeller or 57th St for lights.

2) Park further south in NJ - like at Newark, Metro Park or even Princeton Junction, and take the NJ Transit into NYPenn Station. The ride from PJct is about an hour, but the parking lot is pretty safe (on weekends it's free), and NJT is pretty convenient.

Honestly, though, if yr not skittish about driving into NYC, that might be the best, if you have more than a couple passengers. The Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel gets you out at about 34th st. Drive up to around 47th St (past Times Sq) and you can walk the rest.

Peter Stahl
11-20-2009, 2:06 PM
Shawn,

Thanks for info. I've seen the drivers in NY first hand and would rather take the train.

Jim Becker
11-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Peter, just take NJ Transit directly into Penn Station, rather than switching to Path. You can pick it up in Trenton or Hamilton (just cruise up I-295) and parking in the garages is only $10. (As compared to many times that in NYC) Fares on the weekend are very nice and kids ride free with parent's paid fares.

Tom Godley
11-20-2009, 10:45 PM
The Train from Princeton/ Hamilton is safe and is easy from South Jersey without going too far north. Just check the schedule as stated earlier because you can get stuck waiting.

If you are speaking of a weekend I would drive. The traffic situation is overblown. For those not very familiar I recommend taking the Lincoln Tunnel shooting over to 10th Ave and going north to Lincoln Center to Park. Its a nice walk along the park to 5th Ave and 57th street. And that way you can drive south to another area for another experience and return home by way of the Holland Tunnel. Just my opinion.