PDA

View Full Version : Poll on the use of template guides

Tom O'Donnell
10-01-2004, 8:49 PM
Thanks to all who posted their interest or (lack of interest) in the use of the template guides which I must confess I use on a regular basis, There were 230 viewers to the posting with 36 replies that represented 15% of those who viewed. I was pleased to see a great number of the responses do use the guides on a regular basis.

I have often commented at a number of wood show demonstrations that 90% of those who possess a router do not use the guides. This poll would support that statement if those who viewed the posting did not vote because they did not use the guides and therefore didn't bother to record their vote.

This is understandable as there has been little written on how they are used except for routing dovetails, routing from a male template (to make an item larger) some will have used them for routing trenches or a mortice joint etc.
What I am interested in is what other projects can be produced with the use of the guides? What have been your successes with the use of the guides?

To start others submitting their projects I have enclosed my little elliptical trinket box (180 x 100 x 35mm) as an example of what I mean. Note :This project has been completed with the router in the plunge mode and is made from MDF and painted. I have also completed the same project in solid timber
Tom