PDA

View Full Version : Q: Safety of Young Children (w/ pics)

Josh Holden
11-20-2009, 9:40 AM
I've decided that it is time to give my not-quite 5 year old son a turn at the lathe. So far, we've done it once, for about 15 minutes. Obviously, safety is paramount; here are the measures I've taken so far and pictures of our setup. I'm interested in comments on anything else that can/should be done.

The choice of child. I'd never try this with someone else's kid at this age. This particular kid has demonstrated an ability to focus and follow instructions and rules in important situations.
Despite the pictures, which are accurate but posed, I'm directly behind him, hovering over and frequently gently guiding his hands.
Safety glasses and face shield always, even when the lathe is stopped.
Only I touch the controls.
He can not touch the workpiece, or put a finger past the lip of the tool rest, even when stopped. Rotate using the brake wheel.
Spindles only, not too big, not too small. "Decent" wood (eg, straight grained; green ash so far).
Scrapers only.
500-600 rpm.
Tool rest extends well beyond the workpiece, so no danger of falling off the ends. Also, thick red sharpie lines 2" from each end of the workpiece limit the area he is allowed to work in.

What else?

He was so excited, that he took me upstairs to show me what he claimed he was making: a newel post. I mostly turn bowls, so I didn't even realize he would connect spindles with lathe work.

Josh

Richard Madison
11-20-2009, 9:53 AM
Pretty cool Josh. Just need to cut about 6" off the legs of that PM.

gary Zimmel
11-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Priceless Josh.

Bad thing is it won't be long and you may have to buy another one of those mustard machines so you have a lathe to work on..:D

One thing to consider though.
Maybe make the stool larger so there is no chance your son can step off it.
Can't be too safe.

Reed Gray
11-20-2009, 11:47 AM
I would suggest a bigger platform for him to stand on. That one is pretty small. They do have step type plastic platforms used in aerobics classes that might work, and because they stack, it would be adjustable as he grows. Really cool.

robo hippy

alex carey
11-20-2009, 12:57 PM
looking good, ditto with the larger platform. He'll be a pro in no time.

Jay Jagerson
11-20-2009, 1:01 PM
I'm not a turnner but a flatworker but I think the same rules apply. I also have young kids 9 and 11 now but I did start them in the shop around 5-6 just like you.

The only thing I can think of is what another poster said, use a larger platform. The larger the better. I tried one of the stools that you are using and soon found its just to small. Kids have the same reactions as us adults, if something comes loose they try to get out of the way. Dont want them to fall off the stool and into the machine. Matter of fact I bet there reaction time is faster than the parents!

My 11 year old son got to run the air finish nailer gun the other day, I was close by with every move. He now thinks he is king.

Take your time and let them in on the fun. If you dont let them play with you now in the shop they are not going to want to do it later!

Have fun and enjoy making the memories

Jay

Allen Neighbors
11-20-2009, 1:46 PM
Josh, I agree with every reply thus far. I want to add that I think you are a super Dad, to want to include your son in your shoptime. Very commendable. And he will remember all his life, the time he got to spend with you. Make it upbeat and enjoyable for him. Good for you!!

Charles Murphy
11-20-2009, 2:52 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned a dust mask or respirator. I've had my 7 year old daughter turning small spindles a few times. Before we started I mad sure I had a respirator for her. It may be overkill but I'd rather not take any chances with her lungs so early in her life. It was hard to find one that fit her face as small as she is.

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-95190-Woodworkers-Respirator/dp/B0000BYE9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1258746681&sr=8-1

This is the one I went with for her and it fits fine under her face shield.

Gordon Seto
11-20-2009, 8:24 PM
No spur drive. It is OK to use a gouge when using a safe driver http://oneway.ca./spindle/safe_drivers.htm (http://oneway.ca./spindle/safe_drivers.htm) or a dead center at the head stock end. If the tail stock pressure is not tight, a catch would just cause the spindle to slip and stop. The response would be faster than you can hit the stop button.

Shooting wood chips will be more fun than scraping wood dust.

Dolan Brown
11-20-2009, 8:59 PM
+1 on a larger stool.

Josh, looks like you have really thought this out. I'll have to remember this when my grandsons ( 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 ) get a little older. I look forward to teaching them woodworking.

They came in the shop last week and I gave the older one a small hammer and a block of wood and he knew exactly what to do with it and then the younger one wanted to do it so I gave him a rubber hammer and he went to pounding away.

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2009, 9:15 PM
I agree that is priceless. Really cool.