PDA

View Full Version : Any Williamsburg area campground suggestions?

Brian Hale
10-01-2004, 8:14 PM
We're heading to Williamsburg Va. on Tuesday (Happy Birthday to me! :D )for 2-3 days and need a good campground to stay at. Hopefully with large sites and lots of trees....

Brian

Matt Meiser
10-02-2004, 10:44 AM
We were just there last week. I would absolutely, positively NOT recommend staying at the "Anvil Camp Ground". There is a very active rail line immediately adjacent to the property. Amtrack trains and freight trains move through there at all hours of the night at high speed. Not a fun way to wake up, especially the first time. The sites were also small, all gravel, and the facilities weren't very nice. And they're supposed to be the best rated campground in the area.

Brian Hale
10-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Matt

THANKS!! We had narrowed it down to either Anvil or the KOA. Normally we like small private campgrounds and avoid the KOA types, too much "family" stuff we don't partake in. BUT, it looks the KOA is the best choice this time. We'll only be there for campfires, Pina Colodas(sp?) and sleeping.

BTW, how was Williamsburg? We'll be staying for 2 days and then heading west for some much needed mountain/tree time. Any thing we should avoid or make sure we see? I've never been there and the better half was there ~20 years ago.

Thanks again,
Brian

Matt Meiser
10-02-2004, 2:26 PM
Two days is barely enough to see Colonial Williamsburg. We skipped several of the sit-and-listen type activities there since we have an energetic 2-year old and still spent two days there. There are several craftsman shops including the cabinet makers, which were very interesting and the history of the whole thing was fascinating.

Outside CW, it is mostly typical tourist stuff--souvenier shops, outlet malls, etc.

Mark Patoka
10-03-2004, 9:23 PM
Brian,

I recommend the KOA. We stayed there for one night this summer passing through. This time of year it shouldn't be crowded and you can always count on KOA's being clean and having friendly staff.

I recommend going through the various tours of the buildings and you'll get an appreciation for the woodwork there. Don't miss the cabinet makers shop and watch them work completely without electricity, even by candlelight towards evening. Gives up great appreciation for the shops we work in today.

Ted Shrader
10-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Brian -

Camped at Jamestown Beach Campground on Jamestown Road a couple of times several years ago. It is not very far to the Williamsburg sites, close to the Colonial Parkway and the Jamestown Settlement. Nice and quiet. It is off season in Williamsburg area now, so it should be mostly empty.

Web site with info: Jamestown Beach Campsites (http://www.jamestowncampsites.com/)

I tend to stay away from the Kamp On Asphalt campgrounds.

Regards,
Ted

Aaron Koehl
10-04-2004, 12:09 PM
I don't know if there is a spot in Williamsburg that escapes the train tracks.. ;)