PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Copper Pipe

Michael O'Sullivan
11-19-2009, 9:34 PM
I want to cut some 3/4" copper pipe to make chisel ferrules.

I have an Infinity "Multi-material" blade (-5 deg hook and TCG) that claims to be usable for aluminum and non-ferrous metals.

I made a "cradle" buy cutting a v-groove in a longish piece of scrap, and I was going to secure the pipe with tape in a couple of places, including on the cut lines, and then run it through with the miter gauge.

I have not cut any metal on the TS before, so I wanted to confirm my plan to avoid any serious mishaps.

jerry nazard
11-19-2009, 9:56 PM
Michael,

Make dead sure that you have everything securely clamped in your "V" jig, and that you know the pipe will not rotate during the cut. If it were me, I would find another way to cut the ferrules. Please do be careful!

-Jerry

Bill Huber
11-19-2009, 9:58 PM
I really can not answer your question but if it were me I would just use a tubing cutter, they are fast and you don't get any copper dust all over.

And they are cheap...

http://www.toolbarn.com/omaha-br-tc-02.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40913

Prashun Patel
11-19-2009, 9:58 PM
How many do you have to cut?

Get one of those c-clampish looking pipe cutters. They cut need and straight. Further, most have a reamer on them that'll deburr the inside so yr chisels don't nick.

Those things are like $15.

Jeff Willard
11-19-2009, 10:05 PM
I have not cut any metal on the TS before, so I wanted to confirm my plan to avoid any serious mishaps.

:eek: Don't. Use a tubing cutter.

Myk Rian
11-19-2009, 10:07 PM
I concur. Tubing cutter.
Why muck up the insides of your saw with the metal chips?

Carl Babel
11-20-2009, 2:12 AM
+1 for the tubing cutter. Those things are amazing.
Oh, and another +1 for the deburring tool - you will get nice clean edges!

Jason White
11-20-2009, 5:22 AM
Use a bandsaw. Or, get a tubing cutter from a hardware store.

Jason

I want to cut some 3/4" copper pipe to make chisel ferrules.

I have an Infinity "Multi-material" blade (-5 deg hook and TCG) that claims to be usable for aluminum and non-ferrous metals.

I made a "cradle" buy cutting a v-groove in a longish piece of scrap, and I was going to secure the pipe with tape in a couple of places, including on the cut lines, and then run it through with the miter gauge.

Bill Arnold
11-20-2009, 5:50 AM
Ten bucks will get you a tubing cutter and a lot safer and cleaner way to cut your ferrules.

Joe Mioux
11-20-2009, 6:25 AM
ditto tubing cutter!!! they cut clean and are very safe.

I have several styles, the ones with a handle rather than a knob are a bit more convenient to use.

Michael O'Sullivan
11-20-2009, 8:24 AM
Thanks, all. It sounds like the TS is not the tool for this job. I only have a couple to cut, so I'll probably just use a hacksaw and a vice.

sean m. titmas
11-20-2009, 8:40 AM
Thanks, all. It sounds like the TS is not the tool for this job. I only have a couple to cut, so I'll probably just use a hacksaw and a vice.

In addition to the safety factor with using a pipe cutter it will also produce a cleaner edge with a slightely tapered edge where the cutter presses through the metal. a hack saw will produce a jagged cut and even when cleaned up still looks rough. you will find the pipe cutter will produce a tapered ring that is pretty enough to give your girl as a ring. (i made one for my wife as a joke but it was so nice that she still has it to this day, and we are divorced 10 years now)

Prashun Patel
11-20-2009, 8:56 AM
I've used a hacksaw before. It's fine, but beware of clamping or vicing the stock; it'll deform easy. A good tubing cutter is really a handy thing to have around....

The other way to do it Q&D is with an angle grinder or rotozip with a metal grinding disc. You'll get rainbowy-blackish tarnish on the edges, but some emery cloth'll make it look newish lickety split.

Bill Arnold
11-20-2009, 8:59 AM
... and we are divorced 10 years now)
Ya don't think copper in place of gold had anything to do with that, do ya? :D ;) :D

sean m. titmas
11-20-2009, 9:02 AM
Ya don't think copper in place of gold had anything to do with that, do ya? :D ;) :D

LOL, i may be some things but im not that stupid, i gave her the diamond ring first.

Michael O'Sullivan
11-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Y'all were correct. I tried cutting with a hacksaw, but the cut was uneven and rough. I spent $11 for the low-end pipe cutter (couldn't spring $26 for the Ridgid), and it worked like a charm.

Thanx!

David G Baker
11-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Do not use a table saw to cut copper pipe, it is soft and may catch on one of the teeth. A band saw with a blade that has a lot of teeth per inch will work fine. I cut copper frequently with a tubing cutter but you may want to consider getting a very good cutter if you have a lot of copper to cut. A hand hack saw with a lot of teeth per inch on the blade also works fine but if you need strait cuts you may want to build a miter box type jig. You may be able to use a fine tooth blade on a table saw if you can get a wooden dowel inside of the copper pipe that fits tightly but do it your own risk cause it still is not safe.

Rod Sheridan
11-25-2009, 9:11 AM
Do you have a wood lathe?

That's how I cut my ferrules for handles............Rod.