PDA

View Full Version : Least Needed Tool

Brian Kent
11-19-2009, 9:16 PM
At least for now, the least needed tool I have seen is for sale at Home Depot.
The Ryobi Auto Hammer!

It is an $89 tool that you push on a nail and it hits the nail over and over.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202014971&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_mmc=hd_email-_-111909_TOOLS_CL-_-111909_Tools-_-Hammer%20Img%20-D25

Let's see if you can top that for the "Least Needed Tool"!

Richard M. Wolfe
11-19-2009, 9:52 PM
The autohammer should be great for hitting your thumb about ten times before you could get your finger off the trigger. :D

Aaron Berk
11-19-2009, 10:28 PM
I saw a guy at Home D pick it up and wonder how it worked, so he presses on the head and gets a good 10 wacks on the thumb before pulling back fast enough, I would have laughed but I did the same thing with the one at Sears:rolleyes: hurts a bit.

Another gimmick for the masses.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-19-2009, 10:41 PM
I'll disagree with you guys on that one.

I've been in a couple of situations where I needed to nail something but could not get a hammer on it and get any kind of a swing.

That "Auto Hammer" might be the type of tool that might not have many practical uses but once in a while it comes in handy.....

..........similar to say a rotohammer. Once in a while at work I need to drill a hole in concrete. I don't find many uses for a roto-hammer but periodically I go to a rental center and pay the bucks. Once I wanted to replace a rusted out galvanized metal shower in the bathroom in our basement. Of course the drain came up through the concrete. The distance from the drain to the walls....well you can't get shower stalls that small or perfectly located anymore. I spent 3 stubborn hours one evening with several chisels, a star drill and various sledge hammers. I finally punched a single hole through the 40 year old concrete. The next day I rented a roto-hammer and 20 minutes later I had a 6" by 24" trench cut to move that drain to a new position for a new, larger tiled shower.

Some tools....don't have many opportunities to use them but when you need them.....

Andrew Schlosser
11-19-2009, 10:46 PM
One World Technologies makes tools that carry the Craftsman and Ryobi brands, so not surprising that 2 "companies" are offering the same thing.
Definitely seems like a gimmick, but could you justify its usefulness for driving a nail in a tight space? Like where you would use a right angle drill?

I work as an engineer in a consumer goods company. I often feel like we will make anything as long as there's someone to buy it. Doesn't matter how useful or good it is. How about this for a lease useful kitchen tool? http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-Gizmo-Salad-Dressing/dp/B0024M7JH4

Ken Fitzgerald
11-19-2009, 10:50 PM
The one I liked was the electric "scrubber" that was a hot item a few years ago. My wife bought one for herself and several for family members' Christmas presents. I am not sure if I will see one used in my life time. Haven't so far.

She makes the same claim about my woodworking tools BTW!:rolleyes:

Harold Burrell
11-19-2009, 10:54 PM
It doesn't seem all that long ago when I was saying...

"Why in the world would anybody want to have a car phone???"

Today's novelties are tomorrow's necessities.

Dennis McGarry
11-19-2009, 11:02 PM
I have a version of that, that is air driven. Little tiny palm nailer its called. You would not beleive how many times on a job site I have used it. nailing between studs? No problem anymore.

Over head in a cramped space? Not a problem anymore. It has a lot of uses, dont know how much I would use the bat. version though...

The air driven is a powerfull little nailer..

Brian Kent
11-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Now the tight spaces application makes some sense. Also one woman with arthritis commented on the Home Depot website that it really helped her. She couldn't turn her wrist for swinging a hammer any more.

Wayne Hendrix
11-19-2009, 11:44 PM
If I was still wiring homes full time I would probably buy one. I needed to nail boxes or wire staples in confined spaces so often that I can use the side of my hammer as effictively as the head but without the force.

Tom Veatch
11-20-2009, 12:18 AM
..."Why in the world would anybody want to have a car phone???"...

I'm still saying it!

One of the things I enjoy most about retirement is not being tied to that *&()*&$#$ telephone. No way will I have a phone in my car or in my pocket!!!

Vince Shriver
11-20-2009, 2:17 AM
I've seen the auto hammer advertised, but I hadn't realized it actually "hammered" the nail in. I have used a drill motor loaded with a finishing nail and drilled it in to a board (which works BTW). I guess I can see where this thing could be valuable in places where you can't swing a hammer.

Mark Warwick
11-20-2009, 3:23 AM

I've been in a couple of situations where I needed to nail something but could not get a hammer on it and get any kind of a swing.

That "Auto Hammer" might be the type of tool that might not have many practical uses but once in a while it comes in handy.....

I'll second that one!!!

I can think of a whole bunch of places that would come in handy. But it would look pretty silly if you were using it for every day hammering.

Rick Fisher
11-20-2009, 4:51 AM
I can think of a few " non- woodworking " applications..

ROY DICK
11-20-2009, 7:43 AM
If I was still wiring homes full time I would probably buy one. I needed to nail boxes or wire staples in confined spaces so often that I can use the side of my hammer as effictively as the head but without the force.

And I thought that's what kleins were for. :D

John McClanahan
11-20-2009, 8:33 AM
I can see the autohammer could be useful. But I bought a 3D sander at Sears when they had them on sale for $19.95 and have never used it. So I think I will wait on buying an autohammer.

John

Mike Gadget
11-20-2009, 8:42 AM
I have a version of that, that is air driven. Little tiny palm nailer its called. You would not believe how many times on a job site I have used it. nailing between studs? No problem anymore.

Over head in a cramped space? Not a problem anymore. It has a lot of uses, dont know how much I would use the bat. version though...

+1

While I don't use it all the time, When I have it has been a lifesaver.

Rob Robinson VT
11-20-2009, 9:02 AM
I have a version of that, that is air driven. Little tiny palm nailer its called. You would not beleive how many times on a job site I have used it. nailing between studs? No problem anymore.

+1

While I don't use it all the time, When I have it has been a lifesaver.
+2

Very handy tool that I got on sale (factory reconditioned) for less than the price of a really good framing hammer.

Dan Manning
11-20-2009, 10:07 AM
My uncle told me many years ago when I asked about his thousands of tools, (mechanic and carpenter,)
"I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it, and not have it."

I was in Sears awhile back, and pulled that logic on my wife...it turned out ok, though. The bruises cleared up fine!:eek:

Rob Robinson VT
11-20-2009, 10:10 AM
My uncle told me many years ago when I asked about his thousands of tools, (mechanic and carpenter,)
"I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it, and not have it."

I was in Sears awhile back, and pulled that logic on my wife...it turned out ok, though. The bruises cleared up fine!:eek:
Wives and tool logic are like oil and water - neither mixes well! :D

btw, your uncle was a very wise man!

Brian Kent
11-20-2009, 10:28 AM

You can rub out those bruises with John's 3D Sander!

Nathan Conner
11-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Another couple of points from me for this. I have the air version, too, and it was tremendous to frame together a shed. My wife and son could lay in those nails quickly, accurately, with no danger to sheeting, siding, windows, thumbs. It may seem silly at first, but it's actually useful not just for tight spaces and precarious positions (hammering high on a ladder, hanging over the end of a gable, etc), but for accuracy. It stops when the nail is flush, won't over-sink, or under-hammer. No more bent nails. Say goodbye to the dimples surrounding a 3" sinker for 2" in every direction, too.

Safety, too. Other than the inevitable few whacks you give your finger the first time you touch the head, there's little to no chance of serious damage to yourself with it. I have no problem handing this to a 10-year-old. The harder you push, the faster and harder it hammers. It will sink a good sized nail into a 2x in somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds, once you get moving.

And since I don't swing a framing hammer day in and day out, your shoulders appreciate it after 2 hours of nailing.

I wouldn't use it every day, but man, it's handy, and WAY less dangerous than either a hammer or a framing nailer. I've seen guys* hit themselves in the face with a framing hammer and knock themselves unconscious when they fall off of the framing and land on the concrete, requiring numerous stitches. (*DAMHIKT, please)

So, not trying to advertise for these guys or anything (I've never tried the battery version, and...at first glance, yeah - it seems silly) but it really does have some advantages.

The biggest drawback is that if you forget how to use a hammer, then you're REALLY showing your colors. Nothing says "I know what I'm doing" more than 3 or 4 solid, dead-on confident whacks with a good framing hammer and a perfectly flush, straight nail.

Dan Manning
11-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Update on the bruises...:(

Yesterday, her sister, who was at a local BORG, called to let me know of a sale on a particular item, and should she pick me up a deal or two...I said Yeauh! I spun around in my computer chair and said, 'That's ok, hunny, your sister is taking care of me...':eek:

STICKY NOTE TO SELF: Explain conversation before expressing happiness for SIL's kindness...;)

Rob Robinson VT
11-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Update on the bruises...:(

Yesterday, her sister, who was at a local BORG, called to let me know of a sale on a particular item, and should she pick me up a deal or two...I said Yeauh! I spun around in my computer chair and said, 'That's ok, hunny, your sister is taking care of me...':eek:

STICKY NOTE TO SELF: Explain conversation before expressing happiness for SIL's kindness...;)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed! :rolleyes:

Brian Kent
11-20-2009, 11:32 AM
If A) "The Auto Hammer is the Least Useful Tool"

And B) "The Auto Hammer is actually quite useful."

Then: "All tools are useful!"

Is there any error to my new logic?

Dan Manning
11-20-2009, 12:10 PM
While replacing a faucet in the kitchen, she picked out the faucet, I picked up the tool. (The under-the-sink swivel head wrench...) She stated 'you are gonna buy that and use it once. Why bother'.

Every time I'm called to do plumbing for my large cast of family and friends, I wave that tool and say, (Hang on for the obvious,) See? Looky.:p And her response is, (Hang on for the obvious,) 'You aren't done Yet?.

Sticky Note To Guys...Suppress the urge to spike the football with no witnesses around.:(

Rob Robinson VT
11-20-2009, 1:14 PM
If A) "The Auto Hammer is the Least Useful Tool"

And B) "The Auto Hammer is actually quite useful."

Then: "All tools are useful!"

Is there any error to my new logic?
Nope, but it still won't work with the missus! ;)

Bill White
11-20-2009, 1:47 PM
Dang!!!! I sure wish that I had not "lost" that battery powered B & D tape measure I got for Christmas several years ago. I put it right up there with the HF stud finder that had a built it flashlight. It wouldn't find studs, but was a good little flashlight. :eek:
Bill

Josiah Bartlett
11-20-2009, 2:08 PM
I have a palm nailer as well. There are a couple of other fantastic uses for it- ever try to nail or remove nails in the middle of an unsupported board? Its really frustrating. The palm nailer can hit rapidly enough that the mass of the wood is enough to keep the board from deflecting while trying to nail.

A palm nailer is really nice when you are trying to push nails back out of a board. You can drive out flimsy nails without them bending on you like they do if you hit them with a hammer.

They are also really handy if you want to use real round finishing nails instead of brads with crown moulding- you can get them in and accurately countersunk without splitting or hammer marks.

Chris Kennedy
11-20-2009, 2:30 PM
One World Technologies makes tools that carry the Craftsman and Ryobi brands, so not surprising that 2 "companies" are offering the same thing.
Definitely seems like a gimmick, but could you justify its usefulness for driving a nail in a tight space? Like where you would use a right angle drill?

I was installing a railing on our stairs going out to the garage. There were several pipes (gas, waste water from the washing machine) and there wasn't space for a conventional right angle drill. So, I can imagine a tight enough space where it might be useful. Not about to buy one, mind you . . .

Cheers,

Chris

Kerry Wright
11-20-2009, 3:28 PM
I also have a palm nailer, it's one of those specialty tools that until you use it you may never know you've really always needed it. ;)

I like the idea of the battery version since the only thing I don't like about the palm nailer is the hose.

And on a side note, I have the best wife ever! She believes EVERY new job REQUIRES a new tool. AND, you buy quality once but pay for cheap the rest of your life.
This has always been my mantra and she agrees fully.

I am soooo spoiled :p

Rob Robinson VT
11-20-2009, 4:20 PM
And on a side note, I have the best wife ever! She believes EVERY new job REQUIRES a new tool. AND, you buy quality once but pay for cheap the rest of your life.
This has always been my mantra and she agrees fully.

I am soooo spoiled :p
You got that right . . . ya know, your wife could earn a very decent living holding seminars for other women on "How To Spoil Your Man Rotten Without Chipping A Nail".

Brian Kent
11-20-2009, 4:29 PM
If only the Auto Hammer came with a laser…

Rob Robinson VT
11-20-2009, 4:34 PM
If only the Auto Hammer came with a laser…
Here's the Auto Hammer laser accessory kit (less than $10 at Amazon) . . .

Brian Kent
11-20-2009, 4:41 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeexellent!

Wayne Cannon
11-22-2009, 12:52 AM
That looks like a palm nailer, except with a handle so the batteries fit from their cordless tools. They are definitely useful for driving nails in a confined space.

mickey cassiba
11-22-2009, 7:59 AM

Some tools....don't have many opportunities to use them but when you need them.....
I bought an air powered "Palm Nailer" some years back, and while for most of it's life it has gathered dust in the bottom drawer, there are times when no other tool would do the job.
As to the OP's question, it would have to be the laser guide add on for my circular saw. Given as a present, I leave it on the saw. Makes a neat light show, but I never could get it aligned. Just don't want to hurt any feelings by not "using" such a thoughtful gift.
Mickey

Randy Ridley
11-22-2009, 8:32 AM
Wives and tool logic are like oil and water - neither mixes well! :D

btw, your uncle was a very wise man!

I like my wife's tool logic. We were in the local Woodcraft store other day killing some time before a doctor's appointment. It was a nice quite afternoon and we were the only customers in the store. I had already shooed the salesman away, letting him know that we were just browsing. He reluctantly returned to the counter and began reading something. As we passed by the lathes, my wife asked me if I had one of those. I told her that I did not but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a turning project. I walked over to a fairly low priced lathe and began inspecting it, envisioning it in my shop. My wife then announced that her father used to turn projects (he had a shopsmith) and she thought I would enjoy it. She walked over to the biggest, most expensive lathe in the store and announced: "I think this one would fit well in your shop. You should get it." (The price was CLEARLY marked on it). Almost immediately, I heard a CRASH behind us and nearly busted a gut when I realized the store clerk had been listening to our conversation and had nearly fallen over when he heard those words. He kept mumbling "She's a keeper." after that.

Rob Robinson VT
11-22-2009, 10:07 AM
He kept mumbling "She's a keeper." after that.
WOW, is she ever! You'd better hang on to her with both hands and keep all potentially envious woodworkers far, far, far away from her!

Stephen Tashiro
11-22-2009, 12:07 PM
I've got it! From reading this inane thread, from attempting to think of the most logically contradictory tool that could exist, I've figured out the next big seller in the tool department. It is: THE CORDED ADAPTER FOR CORDLESS TOOLS ! (CAFCT)

Compare it to automotive body primer. How many cars do you see driving around covered with body primer because the owner can't afford to get the car painted, so he has done the primer work hoping to get the paint job "someday". With the CAFCT he can buy that cordless drill that is on sale for $29.95 even though he can't afford to buy two batteries and a charger than the retailer expects to sell with it.

The CAFCT can be like those "universal" power adapters that have various voltage settings. So you have Ryobi, DeWalt, Skil and eight other brands of cordless tools. You won't have to worry about keeping one of each brand of battery charged. The CAFCT will have an assortment of different plugs that fit each brand. (Of course, you will misplace these plugs, but it's the thought that counts.)

Go on, tell me the CAFCT is already made. That happens with all my ideas. I can take it.

Caspar Hauser
11-22-2009, 1:25 PM
I seem to remember a guy I worked with a few years ago having one for his Dewalt drill and cordless saw.

Sorry

CH

Guy Roland
11-22-2009, 1:50 PM
I will confess I fell hook line & sinker for the commercial but I can't be the only guy out there who bought one of these. I pull it out once in a while to use ( mainly to convince myself it has a use ) but I keep going back to the old conventional methods that are quicker, cleaner and less aggravation.

Please don't let me be the only who fell for this.
Attached Thumbnails http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=133372&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1258915480 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=133372&d=1258915480)

Brian Kent
11-22-2009, 4:15 PM
I wish somebody would invent a nice, springy cord for my cell phone so I could keep it in one place in the house, always have a charge, and always know where it is.

Matt Walton
11-22-2009, 8:33 PM
I've got it! From reading this inane thread, from attempting to think of the most logically contradictory tool that could exist, I've figured out the next big seller in the tool department. It is: THE CORDED ADAPTER FOR CORDLESS TOOLS ! (CAFCT)

Compare it to automotive body primer. How many cars do you see driving around covered with body primer because the owner can't afford to get the car painted, so he has done the primer work hoping to get the paint job "someday". With the CAFCT he can buy that cordless drill that is on sale for $29.95 even though he can't afford to buy two batteries and a charger than the retailer expects to sell with it.

The CAFCT can be like those "universal" power adapters that have various voltage settings. So you have Ryobi, DeWalt, Skil and eight other brands of cordless tools. You won't have to worry about keeping one of each brand of battery charged. The CAFCT will have an assortment of different plugs that fit each brand. (Of course, you will misplace these plugs, but it's the thought that counts.)

Go on, tell me the CAFCT is already made. That happens with all my ideas. I can take it.
Actually, I've thought about converting one of our batteries for our old Makita (that my dad buys off eBay) drill/driver. it would be very useful for those times that the battery on your cordless drill dies out, the bit is already chucked in, and you would just rather not mess with getting the corded drill out. All you would have to do is pop the battery adapter in the Makita, plug it in, and you're good to go!
It would be very handy I think.

Tony Zaffuto
11-22-2009, 8:36 PM
The Ryobi Auto Hammer!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202014971&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_mmc=hd_email-_-111909_TOOLS_CL-_-111909_Tools-_-Hammer%20Img%20-D25

Was in a Home Depot yesterday and heard what sounded like a jackhammer. Looked over at the Ryobi display and figured someone was demo'ing a hammer drill. Walked over and it's this danged electric hammer. Besides being a least needed contender, it is also a candidate for most annoying.

Mark Elmer
11-22-2009, 9:27 PM
I guess I am a sucker for worthless sanders too. I have the Craftsman 3D sander which I have never used. I also have a Ryobi detail sander which pretty worthless. I'd say it was as useless as a sack of cordless hammers. But since I find all of my hammers pretty usefull and not a single one of them having a cord....... Hmmm?

Josiah Bartlett
11-23-2009, 4:03 AM
I used my palm nailer today. I have a bunch of old red oak flooring that I am reclaiming to make door frames for my shop cabinets. The palm nailer is the easiest way to drive the staples out so I can get purchase on them with a pair of vise grips. The staples are so thin that they just bend and laugh at you when you hit them with a hammer.

Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention where my thumb was so now I have a blood blister from driving the head of a staple into my thumb. It didn't break the skin but I drained it with a needle because it hurt so bad.

My air powered palm nailer really isn't that loud. I haven't tried the ryobi. Half of the reason I like having an air hose around is for blowing dust off of things with a nozzle.

Rob Robinson VT
11-23-2009, 8:48 AM
I wish somebody would invent a nice, springy cord for my cell phone so I could keep it in one place in the house, always have a charge, and always know where it is.
There probably is one. Check out Belkin, Schosche, Seideo, etc. for either a coiled or retractable cord for your cell phone model that plugs into a USB port on your computer then get one of those AC to USB adapters and you're in business! Here's (http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TK3RIPH3G%2DF) an example of such a solution for an iPhone.

Rod Sheridan
11-23-2009, 10:23 AM
The Ryobi Auto Hammer!

My least needed tool is generally the one I can find, the most needed tool seems to be the one that I can't find.

Regards, Rod.

Rob Robinson VT
11-23-2009, 10:41 AM
My least needed tool is generally the one I can find, the most needed tool seems to be the one that I can't find.
Ain't that the truth!

Stephan Postmus
11-23-2009, 10:58 AM
For somebody with limited use in one hand, I been waiting for something like this. I could never hold a nail with one hand and drive it with a hammer in the other. Just like the palm nailer I know I will be using this tool alot. It's a pain to predrill with the size of nail you are using then pushing the nail into the hole and then driving it home with a hammer.

Stephan

Brian Kent
11-23-2009, 10:58 AM
There probably is one. Check out Belkin, Schosche, Seideo, etc. for either a coiled or retractable cord for your cell phone model that plugs into a USB port on your computer then get one of those AC to USB adapters and you're in business! Here's (http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TK3RIPH3G%2DF) an example of such a solution for an iPhone.

Great. Now is there a coiled wire that connects my cell phone to a wire that goes all the way from my house to the phone company?

Rob Robinson VT
11-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Great. Now is there a coiled wire that connects my cell phone to a wire that goes all the way from my house to the phone company?
You mean something like this?

Rick Boyett
11-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I totally disagree with the naysayers on this one. I've got that Craftsman and it has be an outstanding tool for nailing in very tight spaces.

Keith Harrell
11-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I had not seen one in action until I looked at the demo. I think they would be great for the holidays as a nut cracker. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

Brian Kent
11-23-2009, 1:37 PM
You mean something like this?

I was thinking something like this:

Joe Wiliams
11-23-2009, 9:23 PM
I was thinking something like this:
Ooooo..... a rotary even:p

johnny means
11-24-2009, 12:39 AM
I can't see why anyone would think the auto hammer is a gimmick. Palm nailers have been a staple in the construction industry since before my time. They just figured out how to do it with out a compressor.

Glen Butler
11-25-2009, 12:14 AM
I also have a Ryobi detail sander which pretty worthless.

Worthless should always be in the same sentence as Ryobi.