PDA

View Full Version : Scroll saw

David Meade
11-19-2009, 5:19 PM
I will be buying a scroll saw in the next few days. I am at a point of making the decision.

I am willing to buy a new Dewalt DW788 currently with stand and light for $565 + shipping $50.

Or I can purchase an Excalibur EX24 this is an older model out of production for about 15 years. It is in good condition, and less than half of the above $ investment.

The problem is I do not know which to buy, perhaps it is a no brainer, I just need a couple of people to say or perhaps state an opinion.

Thanks in advance

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/images/misc/progress.gif

Virgil Johnson
11-19-2009, 5:23 PM
My current Grizzly flyer says you can have the 788 for $449.95 plus shipping.
Includes stand and light.

Virgil

John Harden
11-19-2009, 7:17 PM
I will be buying a scroll saw in the next few days. I am at a point of making the decision.

I am willing to buy a new Dewalt DW788 currently with stand and light for $565 + shipping $50.

Or I can purchase an Excalibur EX24 this is an older model out of production for about 15 years. It is in good condition, and less than half of the above $ investment.

The problem is I do not know which to buy, perhaps it is a no brainer, I just need a couple of people to say or perhaps state an opinion.

Thanks in advance

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/images/misc/progress.gif

I have the Dewalt and have been very happy with it. Excellent quality in my opinion. Don't know anything about that Excalibur model yiou referenced. Can you still get parts for a saw out of production for that long? Even if you can, will you still be able to get them 10 years from now?

Is the differences between the saws and this risk worth the $300 you'll save?

Only you can decide that.

Regards,

John

Jim Finn
11-19-2009, 7:25 PM
I had a DeWalt and it cuts fine but had to repair in three times in less than 2 years. I sold it and bought a Hegner. I would go with that Excalibur, myself.

John Shaffner
11-19-2009, 7:38 PM
DeWalt, best bang for the buck. I've had mine for 3+ yrs without a hitch. I use it for 20-25 hrs./wk and it's been a joy to use.
HTH,
John

Bill Arnold
11-19-2009, 7:44 PM
I've had the DeWalt for a few years but don't use it all the time. It's done the job when I need it for a project. I didn't get the stand because I planned to build a roller cabinet, which I did. My cabinet allows me to sit in a chair and also provides storage for blades and other items.

David Meade
11-19-2009, 9:41 PM
I am leaning toward new but the Excalibur is considered the Rolls Royce, and age doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Bob Borzelleri
11-19-2009, 9:42 PM
My DeWalt has been humming along for the past several years. I don't use it all the time, but when I do, it's ready and able. I had a cheaper Delta for awhile; it was a waste of money.

I have played with an Excalibur at WW shows. Fine feeling tool. I'm not sure about a 15 year old saw, though.

richard poitras
11-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Dave PM sent..about a Excalibur Scroll Saw EX 30 VS

Dave Lehnert
11-19-2009, 11:14 PM
I own the DeWalt DW 788 for several years now. A FANTASTIC saw. I have used it without problem. I was lucky enough to get it on a Lowes close-out for $199 with stand.

The Dewalt saw was designed by the same people as the Excalibur Scroll saw. They also manufactured the saw for a few years. You will notice older DeWalts were made in Canada. The newer models are now made over seas. But no major problem have been reported.

glenn bradley
11-19-2009, 11:23 PM
I got the DeWalt from Grizzly ($449 incl stand and light) for early Christmas. Its setting in the entry hall (stealth gloat). From all of my research, the DW788 is the best thing going till you get to the $800 and up range. The Excalibur's are very well thought of but I cannot speak from any experience, particularly with the older units just because I know nothing about them ;-)