PDA

View Full Version : It's Alive!!

Kelly C. Hanna
10-01-2004, 6:20 PM
I finally got finished with the assembly process. It was a little extra work mounting the sliding table outside the left extension wing and getting it levelled, but now that it's finished I am really glad I chose to do it this way.

I made up a shelf to extend the cabinet mounting surface out to the area where I needed it to be for the bottom rail. According to the instructions it needed to be wide enough to make the bottom rail's centerline in line with the far right hand site of the top rail. So I cut the shelf...wound up being too short, hence the washers between the rail bracket and the shelf. I plan on keeping the inserts and wrenches on this shelf so I bordered it on two sides with more pine. I then stained it all to match the Red Oak up top between the top rail and the left extension table. It was fun putting this all together. I'll be keeping the slider table inside the new cabinet I will build as an outfeed table (after I get the big table outta here...my client has fallen silent on the deal...just as well, I should be able to get more on ebay).

I fired it up and crosscut a 22.5" piece of Maple ply....smooth & easy!! I have yet to rip anything on it yet...that will happen tonite after I remove the table and fence...gonna try some Oak first to see how it cuts.

I got a nice present for the wife....found her a make up table from the 20's with Maple veneer and it's nice...has a few small areas of concern, but you have to know where they are to find them. I will still make her something nice of course!!

So here's a pic or two...now I have to clean up the shop and the big table!!

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/TSSTshelf2.jpg

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/TSSTshelf3.jpg

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/TSST1.jpg

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/TSST7.jpg

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/TSST8.jpg

Jim Becker
10-01-2004, 6:33 PM
Lookin' good, Kelly!! Keep us posted how it works out with some nice, big sheet goods cut with the slider.

Dennis Peacock
10-01-2004, 6:38 PM
Kelly,

Looks good and very nice setup. I like it, a lot!!!! :D

Joe Mioux
10-01-2004, 6:53 PM
Hi Kelly:

Congrats on the new saw and slider. Looks like it will easily handle large sheet goods.

Joe

Tyler Howell
10-01-2004, 6:58 PM
You Rock Kelly. Nice addition!

Michael Stafford
10-01-2004, 7:01 PM
Mighty nice. Lotta green in that there garage...

Jack Diemer
10-01-2004, 7:18 PM
Is that the Grizzly slider, or someone elses?

Chris Padilla
10-01-2004, 8:22 PM
Smooth, Baby, reeeaaalll smooooothhhhhh!! :)

Kent Cori
10-01-2004, 9:05 PM
Lookin' good Kelly. Now make some sawdust!

Love dat Griz! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-01-2004, 9:12 PM
Kelly....I am envious....great saw and sliding table! You proved your an old hand at SMC by providing the pics upfront and thereby eliminating the hassles from the Pic Police! :rolleyes: :D

Waymon Campbell
10-01-2004, 9:35 PM
Nice!!! :)

How long did the install take Kelly?

Kelly C. Hanna
10-01-2004, 9:43 PM
Thanks guys!...I feel like a very proud papa at this point. I have already cut a few boards with it and am impressed with the power of a cabinet saw. I will never go back to a contractors' saw (except on the job and even then it'll be hard to cope :D)

The slider is a Griz. I had no idea they came with a melamine table, but aside from it being a little curvy on top (nothin' that can't be fixed with a shim or two of paper), it's okay...at least until I get a line on another top for it down the road.

I'll let you know how it does this Sunday, I'll be cutting sheet goods for a CD bookcase I'm building for a client.

There's now three machines in green and counting. I am impressed with the quality of the tools I have been getting from them and will continue to order from them. I also like the CS...I called today to ask a question about the spacers they didn't send me. They were falling over trying to send me new ones, but all I wanted was the measurements and I got them very quickly.

Dust has been made but much more to come. I have learned about the PIC POLICE and have somehow avoided their ticketing procedure so far.....:D:D:D

Jack Diemer
10-01-2004, 9:53 PM
You'll love yours, I have had mine about three years, and never once since then have I considered getting a different saw. Wish I could say that about all my tools.

John Miliunas
10-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Hey Kelly, looks like that new setup really rocks! Errrrr...no-o-o-o-o. That's not what I meant. It looks rock SOLID! :D (Guess you wouldn't want it to rock, would 'ya?! :p ) A slider would mean reconfiguring half my shop and that's just not in the plans, so I'll make do with my SGS for the panel cutting chores! I do envy your setup, though! :) What *other* Grizz do you have? :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
10-01-2004, 11:19 PM
The saw build took me 3 hours and the slider clocked in at 5.5 including the woodwork and staining. I had plans to have help, but it wasn't in the cards.

I do look forward to many years with the new saw....

The slider table won't be on the saw at all times, just when I have a project that requires it. It will still have to be moved a lot since we park the SS in the 'shop' when the weather is bad.

I also have the Griz 1182hw jointer and an older Griz 500 cfm DC. Next up will be either the G0555 bandsaw or the 17"er Terry Hatfield has depending on the finances....:D

Terry Hatfield
10-02-2004, 8:53 AM
Kelly,

Nice job on the bracket for the slider. The setup looks great!!!

t

David Wilson
10-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Looking good

Steve Clardy
10-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Looking Good Kelly. I have had my 1023S since 1993-94 and have had very good luck with it. Nice saw. The switch went south on it in Sept.:eek: and I was looking for it on the way down to the CSBBC but did not see it so I stopped at Griz in Springfield and picked up a new one.
One of these days a slider will be on it also.:)
Steve

Dave Right
10-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Looks great and you'll have a lot of fun with that saw! http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Matt Robinette
10-03-2004, 4:04 AM
I was was looking at the slider and it looks great but I was wondering does the stock blade guard work with it? I also noticed it has a mobile base does it want to tip? I was looking at one but was told the saw had to bolted to floor because of the weight on the one side.

Thanks
Matt

Kelly C. Hanna
10-03-2004, 7:18 AM
That's great to hear Steve, so far yours os th oldest I've heard about. I told Jana this would more than likely be the last TS I buy for this little shop (left out the part about the new shop when and if it gets to that...:D).

The slider doesn't weigh that much and there's not even the slightest inkling of tipping. I've moved it several times with no trouble. The total weight is around 500 lbs. The stock blade guard will never be installed. I am not a fan of pawls. I will be getting an overarm blade guard and I have an MJ Splitter courtesy of Terry Hatfield's BBQ door prize closet.