PDA

View Full Version : Truned Clock

Bill Bulloch
11-19-2009, 2:13 PM
I have made a lot of Clocks during my 40 years of Woodworking. I have made Desk clocks, Mantel clocks, Wall clocks, even a Grandfather clock, but this is my first Turned Clock. I am going to call it my "prototype", since I can see some improvements coming to the next one.

This one is made from Magnolia. It is 10 1/2 inches high, the Base and Top are 4 1/2 inch diameter, and the Body is 3 1/2 inch in diameter. The Clock is 1 7/16 inch in diamenter and it has a 6 1/2 inch battery operated Pendulum Drive.

What ya think?

Tom Steyer
11-19-2009, 2:16 PM
Very nice - would you provide a tutorial?

Ron Bontz
11-19-2009, 2:34 PM
Pretty slick and creative.:)

alex carey
11-19-2009, 2:53 PM
Totally awesome, creative idea.

charlie knighton
11-19-2009, 3:44 PM
very nice, what price range would that fall into

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2009, 5:02 PM
Beautiful clock. Really well done.

Gary Simmons
11-19-2009, 5:07 PM
Very nice... great change from the norm... I would like to see a tutorial as well :) if not still like it... Gary

Bill Bulloch
11-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Very nice - would you provide a tutorial?

It's really not that difficult. The five parts are turn separatley, then glued. I cut the piece from the body cylinder before turning it. I thought that would be easier, however, I didn't cut it deep enough and had to cut it again after turning it round. You drill the hole according to the size of the watch insert, in this case it a 1 3/8 diameter for the insert.

Bill Bulloch
11-19-2009, 10:35 PM
very nice, what price range would that fall into

First of all this one is not marketable. The CA Glue dried before I could get the top squared away, so the top is off center and there are some other imperfection.

It took me about four hours to make and that was devising a plan as I went, so I probably could do the next one in less time. The Clock and Pendulum came to about $17. The wood was from a tree I cut down awhile back, but you would have to figure a cost for that. And, then there is profit. If you compute all that, the price would probably be more than the market will bear.