PDA

View Full Version : Veneering advice

Kevin Villas
10-01-2004, 6:05 PM
Well I deiced to go ahead and try using some normal thin veneer for the clock. I am hoping I don't ruin this by sanding or some other bone head mistake.

My question is now, for that type of design layout(pic below) with veneer what would the best type of glue be? Just my normal titebond or should I get something special? Now I don't have a vac press but I thought since it isn't very big with enough clamps and cawls I should be able to get by.. I hope..

Any advice on the glue up would be appericated

Thanks

Dennis Peacock
10-01-2004, 6:35 PM
Kevin,

I done some veneer as well as making my own veneer. I use regular Titebond glue with clamps, cawls, masking tape and such. Works fine for me.

Pete Lamberty
10-01-2004, 6:41 PM
I took a class on veneering and we just used regular white Elmers glue. We did use a vacuum press. However you can clamp since you have a small area to veneer. But think of this. You need a lot of equal pressure all over your veneer as it dries. Think of the presure that a clamp makes on an object. It radiates in a conical direction. If the clamp is close to the veneer it will only put presure on the amount of venner that is about the same size area as the clamp. If you put alot of plywood between the clamp and the veneer the clamps pressure will cover a larger area as it spreads outward and down to the veneer. Try to use a number of clamps so that their individual pressure areas on the veneer overlap. I hope this is understandable. If not just post that it isn't and I'll repost with, hopefully, a better expanation. Pete