PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the HF spindle sander? (Other suggestions?)

Jeff Sudmeier
11-19-2009, 7:33 AM
All, the current issue of Wood Magazine lists the HF spindle sander (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95088) for $75 and there is a 20% off coupon. I know technically you aren't supposed to use two coupons on one thing, but I have gotten away with it before. If I could get the spindle sander for $60 it would be nice.

Just wondering on the quality and if there are other cheap spindle sanders out there.

I currently don't have a bandsaw so I don't do a lot of curved work.. mostly small items.

Gary McKown
11-19-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't have direct experience, but that one seems to be a near-spittin' image of my 5-YO Ryobi that Home Depot used to sell. Same color, same oval CI top, same plastic inserts, approximately the same price (I paid $99 on sale) - the only difference seems to be how the accessories are stored around the perimeter.

I never expected the Ryobi to last 5 years, but it is still going strong despite frequent use in a hobbiest application. Not too long ago, I noticed that the local HD still had the sanding sleeves in stock.

Matt Stiegler
11-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Jeff, if you don't have another stationary power sander already, you might want to also look at the Ridgid oscillating spindle sander, which includes an oscillating belt sander. It's about 3x the price of the one you're asking about, admittedly, but for me its 10x as useful as a spindle sander alone would be. You may have thought of this already, but if not I think its worth considering.

There are tons of posts about it here, usually as the OSS, mostly very favorable, which is what convinced me to get one.

Matt Meiser
11-19-2009, 12:15 PM
I've got the Performax version from Menards. Its acceptable.

People love the Ridgid too and its more versatile, but over 3x the price.

Josh Reet
11-19-2009, 12:33 PM
I do not have the HF spindle sander, but I have heard that it's a decent value. And for $75, it's hard to go wrong.

Greg Wittler
11-19-2009, 12:42 PM
I looked at that sander the other day when I was in HF and when I picked it up, it just felt a little light to me. I am watching for a price drop or Decent %off coupon this holiday season for the Rigid one. I dont like the top so much, but it was listed in Fine Woodworking Magazine as one of their 10 Best Buys.

Josh Reet
11-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I looked at that sander the other day when I was in HF and when I picked it up, it just felt a little light to me. I am watching for a price drop or Decent %off coupon this holiday season for the Rigid one. I dont like the top so much, but it was listed in Fine Woodworking Magazine as one of their 10 Best Buys.

I sure haven't seen that Ridgid one on sale very often (if ever). I think the best you could do on it would be a 10% off "movers" coupon and then taking your chances with getting 15% rebate from Ridgid's "friends and family" promotion they are running now. But I'm still waiting for $200 from the September version of that, so I'm not real thrilled about their rebate process at this point.

Stephen Edwards
11-19-2009, 1:11 PM
I've had this sander for over a year now and have it used it quite a bit. Before I bought it I was concerned about the shape of the table. That's turned out to be a non-issue.

The HF OSS, except for the color scheme, also appears to be a clone of the Triton OSS:

http://www.sanderreviews.com/item/B00196LJ86

If I remember correctly, I paid $90 bucks for mine. It has performed well and I'd buy it again for my needs.

Wayne Hendrix
11-19-2009, 4:14 PM
Occasionally the Rigid sander shows up as a reconditioned tool on Homedepot.com, for I think $150. There isnt one there now so I cant confirm.

Greg Wittler
11-19-2009, 5:26 PM
...still waiting for $200 from the September version of that, so I'm not real thrilled about their rebate process at this point.

I have been waiting for a $50.00 rebate from Canon for a printer for almost 2 years, and they even contacted me by e-mail to ask if I had received it, I replied immediately with a "NO" and still never received anything, I don't put much stock in rebates. I am not in a big hurry for it, so I will watch Craigslist and Such, Would like to get a used one on the cheap and fabricate a new table top for it.

Bill White
11-19-2009, 5:37 PM
Ridgid in my shop. Only HF power tool in the WHITE COTTAGE shop is a dust collector that does a good job after 1 micron bags from Highland cleared the clouds.
Bill

keith ouellette
11-19-2009, 5:38 PM
All, the current issue of Wood Magazine lists the HF spindle sander (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95088) for $75 and there is a 20% off coupon. I know technically you aren't supposed to use two coupons on one thing, but I have gotten away with it before. If I could get the spindle sander for $60 it would be nice.

Just wondering on the quality and if there are other cheap spindle sanders out there.

I currently don't have a bandsaw so I don't do a lot of curved work.. mostly small items.

I am planning on buying the HF spindle sander though it is on sale for $99. Was there a coupon in wood mag that made it $75. I know where to get the 20% off coupon but starting out at $75 would be a lot better.

I was just at a friends house today and he has the ryobi spindle sander and it seems close to identical to the HF. It even has a 5/8 stroke just like the HF spindle sander. He says the ryobi is great though he did mention how he would like to have the rigid sander with the belt (like others have posted) but didn't like the price difference.

Josh Reet
11-19-2009, 5:51 PM
I am planning on buying the HF spindle sander though it is on sale for $99. Was there a coupon in wood mag that made it $75. I know where to get the 20% off coupon but starting out at $75 would be a lot better.

Keep in mind that using the 20% off coupon with another coupon (like this one for the sander or the $139 one for the dust collector) is a big YMMV. technically it says something like "may not be combined with other offers" on most coupons. But some have had success in asking nice at HF and getting them to take both coupons for a single item. I have never had that success though.

Josh Reet
11-19-2009, 5:54 PM

Also, are you sure that it's in the current issue of "Wood" magazine? I didn't see it in there when I looked at the HF ad the other day. Did I miss it or could it have been in another woodworking magazine.

Josh Reet
11-20-2009, 12:45 PM
bump.

Has anyone actually seen this $75 coupon and can report exactly what magazine it is in?

Stephen Edwards
11-20-2009, 1:26 PM
bump.

Has anyone actually seen this $75 coupon and can report exactly what magazine it is in?

The cheapest current advertised price that I've found for this sander is $99.99. It's listed as Lot number 95088 in flier number 4341. The list price on their website and in printed brochures is $119.99.

That is, based on my experience with this same sander, still a good value. Of course, $75.00 would be even better.

Good luck with your search for the coupon that you're seeking!

Jeff Sudmeier
11-20-2009, 1:47 PM
bump.

It was in the Wood Magazine that I got on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

The magazine is at work and I am at home but it was in the most current issue, near the back for me.

Josh Reet
11-20-2009, 1:52 PM
It was in the Wood Magazine that I got on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

The magazine is at work and I am at home but it was in the most current issue, near the back for me.

Ah...so it's probably not out on the news stand yet. I was thinking this was the Nov 09 issue you were talking about. But if you are a subscriber, then it's probably the dec or jan or whatever the next issue is.

Thanks for the info.

Josh Reet
11-20-2009, 4:24 PM
Just to wrap this up in case I'm not the only idiot.

The ad is in the Dec/Jan 09/10 issue of Wood magazine (#195). The spindle sander is $79.99 with the coupon. this is about the same as the current price of $99.99 minus a 20% coupon. But using the specific spindle sander coupon frees your 20% coupon up for something else (if you are buying something else at the same time). And of course if you are lucky, you might be able to get them to take the $79.99 coupon and the 20% coupon for the same item. But I'm never that lucky.

You may be able to see the ad here on the Wood magazine digital version:

http://woodmagazine.coverleaf.com/woodmagazine/200912#pg84

I've also attached a screenshot from that page. It's pretty cruddy though since you can't attach very large files to forum posts.