PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple Peppermill

Bob Vavricka
11-19-2009, 1:07 AM
Ambrosia Maple peppermill. Worm holes filled with instant tea and ca glue. I was going to try coffee grounds and ran across the instant tea in the cabinet. I thought it would be a little finer grained for the small worm holes. It worked fair the instant tea had to be crushed a little between my fingers to make it a powder. Mill is about 2 1/2" dia x 10". Finish is ca glue. Crush Grind mill mechanism.
Bob V.

Jeff Luedloff
11-19-2009, 5:37 AM
very nice Bob, I haven't done a pepper mill yet. very nice work

Caspar Hauser
11-19-2009, 5:54 AM
Instant Tea!? Just how instant does tea need to be?

Nice mill!

CH

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2009, 8:16 AM
That is a good looking mill. Really nice wood.

gary Zimmel
11-19-2009, 9:20 AM
Nice looking peppermill Bob.

Peppermills are on my short list for xmas projects.
Thanks for the look see.I need ideas for shapes.

Did you make a template for the form?

Bob Vavricka
11-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Nice looking peppermill Bob.

Peppermills are on my short list for xmas projects.
Thanks for the look see.I need ideas for shapes.

Did you make a template for the form?

Gary,
I didn't make a full template, but I did make a sketch on some poster board to work out the design and to use as a way to transfer major landmarks and diameters. It also helps me avoid cutting too deep at the bottom to avoid cutting into the drilled holes. I have never been able to put a piece of wood on the lathe and just start turning and end up with anything I like. I am doing some mills right now that will be shorter and I took time to make another sketch for them leaving out one of the beads and adjusting the top curve.
I used to tell my students "If you don't know where you are going...how are you going to know when you get there? I still need a road-map--doesn't mean I don't make some side trips though.
Bob V.

Mike Golka
11-19-2009, 2:05 PM
Good looking mill Bob, I like the shape, well done. Love those crush grind mechanisms, I have 2 mills waiting for their innerds. Just picked them up the other day.