PDA

View Full Version : What saw

Rick Davidson
11-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Hello everyone new here and been browsing a bit. I am new to woodworking and am looking to buy my first table saw. I am back and forth between Delta and Grizzly. I don't want to spend more then about $800 less is better. So far I am looking at the Delta 36-981 For $825 including shipping. Or the Grizzly GO444. What do you guys recommend? What is better bang for the buck the Delta's or the Grizzly's? Do you recommend a diffrent saw all together?:confused::confused:

Thanks

Mike Heidrick
11-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Welcome. If you want new - Save for the Grizzly G1023SL.

Buy it before it goes off sale - $889 shipped

http://grizzly.com/products/G1023SL

Jim Dailey
11-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Hi & Welcome Rick,

If your serious about woodworking, think about a cabinet saw not a contractor style saw (less vibration, better cuts, possibly larger capacity, and a high quality fence). With many of us moving to a SawStop table saw for safety & insurance reasons, many high quality cabinet saws are flooding the market like Unisaws & Powermatic 66's. Be patient... watch your local Craig's list and you should be very pleasantly surprised on how far your $800 budget will stretch.

Good luck,
jim

Jason White
11-19-2009, 6:42 AM
+1 on the G1023.

Jason

Welcome. If you want new - Save for the Grizzly G1023SL.

Buy it before it goes off sale - $889 shipped

http://grizzly.com/products/G1023SL

Ken Higginbotham
11-19-2009, 7:49 AM
On a side note - I am relatively new to the hobby and bought a Steel City 3hp/220v saw and I am happy with it but I think if I had to do it over again I'd put in a few more dollars and get one of the saws you've listed. I can not imagine a non-production shop ever needing anymore power than 3hp/220v. The ones you've listed just seem like better saws. And with the table saw being the cornerstone of the shop get the best you can afford :)

Bob Borzelleri
11-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Rick...

Of the two saws you mentioned, I think you should know that they are rather different "classes" of contractor's saws.

The Grizzly has stamped wings, a Shop fence and no table or mobile stand included and shipping is extra (at the moment, anyway). The Delta has cast wings, a Unifence, table and a mobile stand included in the price. I have seen them available with free shipping.

My saw is a 10 year old version of the Delta you are considering. While I can afford to replace it, I don't see that happening until I find a real performance need to do so.

I have some Grizzly tools and would strongly consider one of their saws with all other factors being equal, but the comparison between these two saws would lean me strongly toward the Delta even with a +/- $200 difference.

Good luck with your choice.
...Bob

Ken Higginbotham
11-19-2009, 12:12 PM
On a side note - I am relatively new to the hobby and bought a Steel City 3hp/220v saw and I am happy with it but I think if I had to do it over again I'd put in a few more dollars and get one of the saws you've listed. I can not imagine a non-production shop ever needing anymore power than 3hp/220v. The ones you've listed just seem like better saws. And with the table saw being the cornerstone of the shop get the best you can afford :)

My bad - I didn't look at the two contractor saws you originally listed. I thought you were considering the Grizzly G1023SL and a Delta saw in the same class as that one.

Michael Conner
11-19-2009, 12:25 PM
That is a great deal on the grizzly cabinet saw. If you can come up with the 835 for the delta contractors saw, I would try to save another 64 dollars and get the 1023 (If you are going to buy new).

Used will get the most bang for your buck, but you may have to look for a while.

Jim Rimmer
11-19-2009, 1:25 PM
Are you limited to 110V? The 1023 is 220V. I recently bought the G0661 and love it. It's on sale right now ($45 off). With shipping it's $844.

If you have 220V or can get it pulled in reasonably, I would go for the 1023 based on all the comments I see here at SMC. If not, you won't be disapointed with the G0661.

Rick Davidson
11-20-2009, 8:44 PM
Is this worth it? $850 Local CL

Price Reduce! Delta Commercial Table Saw, Never Used Delta Commercial Table Saw Model# 36-714
Volts: 120/240, Amps:15.0/7.5, Hz: 60, RPM: 3600 HP: 1 3/4
Saw is still wrapped in factory celeopane. All accessories still in boxes, never opened.
Assessories include: Biesemeyer 42" Commercial Fence & Guide Set w/ legs.
Uhaul..it's heavy!

Russ Jensen
12-02-2009, 3:31 PM
Yet another recommendation for the Grizzly 1023SL - I LOVE mine - only downside is you need 220V.

Huge step up in power, dust collcetion and stability for only a few bucks more than a contractor saw. Decent fence too. Cant go wrong!

jim hedgpeth
12-02-2009, 3:43 PM
If you are going new the Grizzly G0661 is good. Riving knife, decent fence, 2hp, and no motor hanging out the back. As far as mass, its 300+lbs, not as heavy as a cabinet saw, but solid. Almost 2 years and no problems cutting anything I throw at it. Even 80+ year old recycled white oak.

Jim

Eric DeSilva
12-02-2009, 3:48 PM
If I read the model number, that is a hybrid saw. Not sure I'd call it a "commercial" saw.

For reference, I bought a used Delta Platinum Edition Unisaw with a 52" bies fence, a Delta tenoning jig, a Delta angle miter rig, and a couple blades for $700. I had to monitor CL for a while tho'. It wasn't new, and it had some cosmetic issues, but it works fine...

Matt Sollars
12-02-2009, 3:50 PM
Another 1023SL vote here.

After fretting about the 220V requirement, i was amazed at how easy of an installation the 220v was to run. I had less than $100 on breaker, wire and plugs.

matt

scott spencer
12-02-2009, 3:50 PM
Rick - Both of those saws are good examples of contractor saws, but both are nearly obsolete technology for a fair amount of money. Go with at least a hybrid saw with an internal belt drive induction motor....check out the G0478, G0661, Jet Proshop, Steel City 35920 or 35930, GI 50-240GT, Ridgid R4511, Craftsman 22124/22116.

If you have 220v available, the Grizzly G1023SL (http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1023sl) that was mentioned is a full blown 3hp industrial cabinet saw for $795 ($889 shipped)....simply a more substantial different class of saw, and an outstanding value at that sale price. It's such a good deal that it approaches no brainer status IMO...the downside is that it doesn't have a stock riving knife, but a Bolt On Ripping Knife (B O R K) can be added, and a good aftermarket splitter will also work well.

scott spencer
12-02-2009, 3:53 PM
Is this worth it? $850 Local CL

Price Reduce! Delta Commercial Table Saw, Never Used Delta Commercial Table Saw Model# 36-714
Volts: 120/240, Amps:15.0/7.5, Hz: 60, RPM: 3600 HP: 1 3/4
Saw is still wrapped in factory celeopane. All accessories still in boxes, never opened.
Assessories include: Biesemeyer 42" Commercial Fence & Guide Set w/ legs.
Uhaul..it's heavy!

A better design than the contractor saws, decent saw, not a bad deal, but not one of the better hybrid designs (nice fence though), and is not in the same league as a full cabinet saw. Another $39 puts you in a better class of saw.

Jim Riseborough
12-02-2009, 4:11 PM
I just ordered mine,
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Left-Tilt-Cabinet-Table-Saw/G1023SLW

john clanton
12-02-2009, 5:11 PM
I purchased a General International after a FWW recommendation. I like the saw but I don't like to make cuts with the blade beveled because it does not have a riving knife. Also my contractor saw has a tendency to be parallel to the miter slot when vertical but the trunnion goes out of square when I bevel the blade and the rear of the blade moves towards the fence pinching the work piece. Without a splitter that is a recipe for a kick back. If I had it to do over again I would save up and buy the sawstop professional cabinet saw.

scott spencer
12-02-2009, 5:22 PM
I purchased a General International after a FWW recommendation. I like the saw but I don't like to make cuts with the blade beveled because it does not have a riving knife. Also my contractor saw has a tendency to be parallel to the miter slot when vertical but the trunnion goes out of square when I bevel the blade and the rear of the blade moves towards the fence pinching the work piece. Without a splitter that is a recipe for a kick back. If I had it to do over again I would save up and buy the sawstop professional cabinet saw.

John - It sounds like you purchased an older style contractor saw (50-185 /50-175?), and are experiencing exactly the type of issues that make a hybrid a better choice. They don't all suffer from the woes you're facing, but it's far more common on a saw with an outboard motor and connecting rods (which both the Delta and Grizzly contractor saw have), than with a hybrid or cabinet saw. You should still be able to use a splitter with this saw...

FWIW, the new GI 50-240GT (http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/saw/50-240gt.html) hybrid does have a riving knife.

john clanton
12-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the info Scot but I talked it over with my wife and we are buying a sawstop industrial saw. My buddy is buying the general contractor saw.