PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this tool?

David Gilbert
11-18-2009, 9:17 PM
I'm putting together a collection of assorted tools for a silent auction that our woodworking group is running and came across this unusual tool. Can anyone identify it?

Most of the tools in this collection were machinist tools. The tool fits into the leather sheath that it is sitting on. The sheath and wooden handle are both pretty oily. The front end of the tool was carefully sharpened on the sides and bottom and is about 5 inches long. The black tape on the handle is the old friction tape that we used to use on hockey sticks and baseball bats. There aren't any manufacturing marks and this tool may have been hand-made since the steel between the tape and the handle is not very uniform in profile.

Any information will be appreciated.

Cheers,
David

george wilson
11-18-2009, 9:22 PM
That is a babbit bearing scraper.

David Gilbert
11-18-2009, 10:11 PM
George,

Thanks for the information. At least now I can tell people what it is. I looked them up on Ebay and they are going for $3 to $6. Rochester Woodworkers won't be getting rich on this item.

Thanks again,
David

Harlan Barnhart
11-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Mr. Wilson, I don't understand how this things works. Is the "tool" end tapered to facilitate scraping bearings of various diameters? Why is it curved as well as tapered?

Chris Vandiver
11-18-2009, 10:47 PM
George,
I am sure your right, but I find it interesting how similar it looks to a Yariganna(Japanese spear plane)!

Chris

Bill Houghton
11-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Mr. Wilson, I don't understand how this things works. Is the "tool" end tapered to facilitate scraping bearings of various diameters? Why is it curved as well as tapered?

I've never scraped babbit, but I suspect that it was to get in tight spots - keep in mind that a lot of babbit bearings were in awkward spots on the machines.

Paul Atkins
11-18-2009, 11:28 PM
You just want to scrape the high spots off. They vary as you scrape down. So you need a tool that will take off a small spot or a larger swath.

David Gendron
11-18-2009, 11:59 PM
I was thinking the same as Chris V. to start with but other than the blade part, it doesn't look like a Japanese tool!?!?

Jim Koepke
11-19-2009, 1:41 AM
I was thinking the same as Chris V. to start with but other than the blade part, it doesn't look like a Japanese tool!?!?

I could be Japanese. They had bearings in machines that also had to be scraped.

jim

Chris Vandiver
11-19-2009, 2:01 AM
I just meant that it looked vaguely like a Yariganna.

Chris

george wilson
11-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Lots of those old bearing scrapers laying around. I have a few myself. The Japanese tool somewhat resembles it,but study them more closely.