PDA

View Full Version : Home School Woodshop update

Dave Sharpe
11-18-2009, 8:41 PM
It's Wednesday night, so it's time for the latest update in home school woodshop classes. Today the kids continued work they started last week on a simple coat rack project (my sketchup drawing is attached). They have to cut two boards with square ends using only hand tools (handsaw, plane and shooting board) then round over the edges with a handplane. Then they moved on to an electric jigsaw to cut the curved parts, and a trim router to roundover the edges on those curves. Next they will use power and hand sanding to prep the parts, a powered drill to drill holes for pegs and predrill screw holes, then glue and sscrew the parts together. Finally, they will have to decide on a finish to apply - paint or polyurethane most likely. The idea is that this project introduces them to measuring and layout, hand tools, hand-held power tools, sanding and finishing - all in a single simple project.
The first group of kids did really well. These are ages 10,14, and 16. The oldest one got all of his parts prepped and ready for the sanding stage, while the other kids each got a lot of their cutting done. It was a real pleasure to watch each of these budding craftsman at work. Each of them was focused and fairly careful to cut right on the line. (A side note - my real job is working as an ER nurse, and the other night at work I was listenening to the typical ER sounds - kids crying, drunks screaming and cursing, etc. But in my mind I was hearing the soothing sounds I heard in class today - the swish of a well-tuned handplane on an edge and the smooth sounds of a crosscut saw slicing through a board. Ahhhhh, Bliss!)
The second group, ages 10 and 11, came by after school and things didn't go so well. They are less focused, more easily distracted and yet at the same time able to get fixated on a specific task to the point of ignoring any advice I offer to improve their skills. They seem more interested in "playing" in the shop rather than learning. I'm not sure if this is a function of their younger age or the fact that they are tired after school and less able to focus. I suspect it's a mixture of both - perhaps we'll have to try a different time of day.
Once they finish the coatrack project, I plan to let them work on a project of their own choice, using the basics they've already learned. That may help the interest level of the younger guys, and keep them focused. We'll see.

Gene Howe
11-19-2009, 9:18 AM
Thanks for your time dedicated to this VERY worthwhile endeavor.
I wish your experience was duplicated in many more locations.
Very few (except us woodworkers) realize the academic values inherent in a well run shop. Not to mention the growth of self esteem realized in accomplishing a woodworking task.

Horton Brasses
11-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Are you home schooling them in general or just in woodworking?

I don't home school but have a real interest. Just curious.

Dave Sharpe
11-19-2009, 11:44 PM
At the request of seveal friends, I'm teaching woodshop "classes" for their children who are home-schooled. It's all very informal, no grades or tests or anything. Also no charge. Just inviting the kids into my shop for a couple hours each week to learn some basics of working with wood and with tools. Since i have a limited number of tools and space for the kids, I'm teaching three at a time in the morning, and two more in the afternoon. I'm not letting them use any of the big power tools yet - perhaps not ever - but focusing on working through a project and learning some basic tools along the way. As I said earlier, they will get to choose a project of their own after they finish the assigned coat-rack project, but will have to provide their own wood and materials.

Mark Godlesky
12-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi, Dave. I was enjoying your posts on the Home School Woodshop and was wondering if you were continuing after the holidays.

Dave Sharpe
12-31-2009, 1:24 PM
Mark,
Thanks for your interest!

I do plan on continuing with the shop classes at home, but have been on a month-long hiatus - a much needed Hawaiian vacation for my wife and I (during which we hauled home a bunch of Hawaiian hardwoods), then the holidays, etc. I'll probably start up again next week.
There is a bit of uncertainty though. The two boys I originally started teaching have been absent more than they've attended. I've spoken with parents about this and they assure me it's been due to illness and the boys really want to continue, but I've been a bit disappointed in their enthusiasm level on the days they did show up. They seemed less than excited to be working with wood and are poorly disciplined - bouncing from one idea to the next and having trouble focusing on the task at hand. Very frustrating for me to work with, and not making much progress on the basic hat-rack project the first part of the class is built around. The plan is for their Dad to come over and work with them on a day where we can work for an extended time and see how they do in that setting.
The other three kids are just the opposite, committed little craftsmen who are excited to be there, eager to work on the project, and just plain focused. They all completed the hat rack before the December break, so I'll encourage them to choose and research a project of their own choice now, and help them use the skill set they've built up to complete it.

Mark Godlesky
12-31-2009, 1:37 PM
Thanks, Dave. Glad to hear you've got some dedicated students. I really enjoy working with kids. I've done some coaching, but no woodworking with them. My skills and shop are not there yet. Looking forward to your posts when you start up again.

Brian Loucks
12-31-2009, 3:05 PM
Dave,
I've been following your adventure with interest. We homeschooled our son several years ago and woodworking was part of our curriculum. We worked on basic skills and saftey. He served in the Air Force and now that he is back home we will be remodeling his new home. Great times!
Now I have a young man (17 yrs) bugging me to come over and work in my shop. He has some highschool shop experience.I would like to help him out. I have given him some old books and a couple of handsaws etc. One book was on how to use a tablesaw safely. My concern is that he wants to jump in headfirst using the biggest and sharpest powertools available. A place I really don't think is a good starting point. Any suggestions on how to slow him down but not lose his interest?
Brian

Bill White
12-31-2009, 3:06 PM
Dave, I hope that you have VERY GOOD liability insurance. :eek:
Kids who don't want to be there get to go home. Tell the parents. :mad:
Kids who Do want to be there get to have all the attention they deserve 'cause it fun for you and them. :D
Bill

Dave Sharpe
12-31-2009, 9:49 PM
Brian, Let me first say that I am hardly the guy to give expert advice. I'm feeling my way through this adventure as I go, so all I can give you is a SWAG (scientific Wild-A** Guess).
My thoughts are that a 17 year old is old enough to at least intellectually understand a couple of things:
First, that his use of your tablesaw exposes you to laibility, as many others have noted, and so you want to discourage him from using this quite dangerous piece of shop equipment at least until he demonstrates some commitment to safety by using other tools.

Second, while a tablesaw is indeed the heart of most of our shops, there are other ways to accomplish most of the tasks needed on a tablesaw. A jigsaw or circular saw can break down large sheet goods, and handsaws do a fine job of crosscutting boards to length. Learning these other techniques is safer, and makes him more versatile in his skills development. (how do you work at ajob-site if you don't have a portable tablesaw?)

Third, it's my opinion that many of us emphasize use of big power tools in our woodworking over the use of Neanderthal tools. I've only recently begun using handsaws and planes, and hope to develop my skills further with handtools. A tablesaw often means simply that a project part can be screwed up that much quicker, whereas using hand tools can be more relaxing and satisfying (as well as quieter). I currently use both types of tools, but I honestly wish I'd learned more about using hand held tools first - I think my work would be more precise and I'd be more patient as a woodworker than I am now.

Finally, he should recognize that the point of woodworking is NOT just to run the machines. Using a tablesaw is a means to an end, and only one step of many in the process of completing a project. If he's working on a project that requires he use of a table saw, consider operating the saw yourself with him perhaps catching the wood on the outfeed side. He could even setup the saw for you -adjusting the fence, height and angle of the blade, etc.

In my own teaching efforts, I won't let the kids use the tablesaw, even though I own a SawStop. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but things can just go wrong too quickly. Another consideration is table height - most of my students are shorter (and younger) so any kickback is coming in at chest or face height - just not OK with me.
I'm trying to focus on developing skill sets loosely based on the steps involved in a project. This means they start with planning and drawing sketches, develop cut lists, and then move on to layout and marking on the wood. Then they can cut out each part, make any joinery cuts they need, and move on to gluing and assembly skills. Next it's sanding and prep for finishing, then finishing itself. I wrote some general requirements for each skill set, similar to requirements for earning a Boy Scout merit badge, with the idea being that they need to complete the more basic skills before moving on to more advanced stuff. For example, they must demonstrate use and care of hand tools first, then move on to hand-held power tools sch as a jigsaw or router, and then eventually advance to bench tools. I developed a simple hat-rack project for the kids that introduces them to all the stages of a simple project. I gave them a cut list and a 6' length of 1x6 pine, and they had to lay out each part on the board, then cut them by hand using a hand saw, planes and a shooting board. They were able to use a jigsaw and trim router for curved side pieces, then a ROS for sanding each part. Then they glued and sxrewed the parts together, and applied a finish of their choice - paint, poly, etc. The kids were excited about this project, and completed them in about 4-6 hours of work (longer than I expected). Three of the kids are from a family that owns a local restaurant, and now I get to see their projects hanging on the wall whenever I drop in.

Dave Sharpe
12-31-2009, 9:58 PM
Bill, I actually spoke with my insurance agent and told him what I'm doing, so we increased the liability limit on my policy. It seems that I'm OK as long as I'm not charging for the classes (I'm not), and the kids are just considered guests in my home. If I started charging, then it's a business and enters a whole new arena.

As far as sending kids home, I'm not giving up on them quite yet. I have spoken with their parents (happens to be my pastor and his wife) and expressed my concerns. They tell me the kids have expressed that shop class is their favorite activity of the week, and they haven't been showing up simply because of illnesses over the last couple of weeks. Apparently other teachers have expressed similar impressions of the kids, and the parents are convinced that the kids are "bored" with limitations imposed by traditional schooling, which is why they are doing some home-schooling. I haven't seen evidence yet that they are "ahead of the game" as the parents believe, and I've reaffirmed my commitment to proceeding slowly and systematically, even if the kids get bored and want to move faster. One advantage of the skill-set approach (see my post above) is that each kid can move forward as fast as he can accomplish the requirements of each skill-set.

Brian Loucks
01-05-2010, 6:24 PM
Dave,
Thanks for the good advice. I think I'm going to help him plan a project out on paper. He wants to build a small cabinet. Work thru a story board, then talk about different ways of obtaining the finished project. I'm also thinking a couple of sawdust sessions (sweeping the floor) will be in order.
Nothing like starting at the begining.
Thanks again and keep us up to date.
Brian

Karl Card
01-05-2010, 7:43 PM
first of all i think Dave should be considered a hero in todays world. Not to many adults want to spend time with children.

I wished i had a mentor when i was younger to show me how to do things like work with wood. Several of my uncles and grandpa (passed on now) were excellent wood workers and my mother was really surprised when i caught the bug. But see when i was younger i coulnt play sports or anything like that due to very bad eyes. 20/1600 uncorrected and 20/40 with glasses or contacts in. you may think i have a bad time in the shop but due to me not being able to see good I expect everything pay double close attention.

Cudos and keep it up Dave.

Rich Fletcher
01-08-2010, 9:59 AM
We homeschool three kids, the oldest is 7. The oldest is always begging to help in the workshop; my day job unfortunately makes it hard to put together coherent lesson plans and supervise.

Our oldest has problems with being easily bored/hard to calm down, so I can totally relate. It was astonishingly evident from a very early age that he was different in terms of calming down compared to his peers and siblings. It's actually humbling as a parent; we're very strict but it's still a challenge with that guy.

So I can relate to those other guys, and it might not be because of the parenting or school. But who knows? It's definitely worrisome to have someone in the workshop who has trouble focusing on the work.

Roger Bullock
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I commend you Dave for working with the youth of today and dealing with their parents. I'd use special care and keep a close eye on the kids whose parents have mentioned they are above the curve. It sounds like they think their kids can do no wrong and if something goes wrong, it must be the fault of someone else. Fault can mean a lawsuit.
Just heard this on the news the other night. The majority of the fire departments in St. Louis will not train their firefighters or send them out if someone falls through the ice on a pond or lake. They said that if they train one, they have to train them all. And if all equipment, procedures, guidelines, and rescue is not carried out to the letter, they can be sued.