PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID assist?

Mike Minto
11-18-2009, 7:42 PM
here's my latest gift, wood for future sawdust...Anyway, i don't know what kind of wood this is. was at the county dump, got rid of some debris from the latest nor'easter storm we had last week, and took this home as trade. any ideas? growth over the bark doesn't help, i know. thanks.

charlie knighton
11-18-2009, 7:55 PM
that funny stuff on the bark looks like the stuff that grows on the dogwood around here, if dogwood it is a large diameter dogwood

Terry Rothwell
11-18-2009, 7:57 PM
Its hard for me to tell from the pictures but it looks a lot like Elm to me, especially the end view in the second picture.

Sid Matheny
11-18-2009, 8:37 PM
Looks like Black Gum (sour gum) to me. And the mold growing on it look just like the Back Gum in my back yard. But its really hard to tell from a picture and sometimes I have problems even seeing and touching it also.

Sid

Jim Underwood
11-18-2009, 10:55 PM
My first thought was Dogwood... and the bark on pic #2 looks similar... but it's really hard to say.
My second thought was ornamental Plum... Any leaves around that tree?

Give us another closeup shot of the bark...

Jeff Nicol
11-19-2009, 7:53 AM
The bark looks a lot like some of the cherry trees that get stunted in the underbrush, or some sort of apple tree. Possibly a maple as I have cut some down that look identical to what you have. But just by the trunk and limb structure I say a fruit tree of some sort is a good bet.

Good luck,

Jeff

Danny Hamsley
11-19-2009, 9:40 AM
It is definitely black cherry, Prunus serotina.

John Shuk
11-19-2009, 9:47 AM
Looks like cherry.

Quinn McCarthy
11-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Mike,

My guess is American hop-hornbeam. It has a dark heartwood like the piece you have. If it is heavier than any other wood you have it is hop hornbeam. It is so hard that it will turn your wood burning stove red.

Ostrya virginiana.

In wisconsin you mostly see it in hardwood stands that have been grazed by cattle. They will not browse on ironwood so the seedlings make it thyrough.

Quinn