PDA

View Full Version : Custom Full Color Print Medallion Inserts and Plaque Plates

Chuck Patterson
11-18-2009, 4:48 PM
As ironic as it may seem, I have had three customers in the last couple of days bringing in trophies with their full colored logo printed right on to the insert. Being new to the trophy and awards business, I am not sure how or who to contact about printing such a thing for me. The downside is I only need several done.

Then today, a customer came in with cherry finish stand up plaque with the entire 3"x5" plaque plate covered in its entirety with a full color printed logo. The plaque plate did not seem to be like a standard metal one, but I couldn't really tell.

Who ever did these for my customers have a sublimation machine and doing these onsies and twosies in house or is there a company I can contact to have them printed?

Attached is a very poor picture, but it will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Any knowledge or advise is appreciated.

Mike Null
11-18-2009, 5:09 PM
It does appear to be a sublimated insert. If you send the artwork and the sizes to Ron Hill at mytransfersource.com (http://mytransfersource.com) he may do them for you.

Scott Balboa
11-18-2009, 7:56 PM
That is a 2" White Sublimatable Aluminum Disc with color printed on it. Many engraving/trophy shops sublimate so somebody out there should be able to do it for you, hopefully nearby and at a good price. The discs themselves are less than .50 cents each in cost so don't let someone charge you too much for printing them! We are out of sublimation ink at the moment but I'd be happy to print some for you in the future if you need help!

-Scott

Daryl Gregg
11-18-2009, 8:21 PM
I can sublimate them on metal or stickers, message me if you need help with them.

Chuck Patterson
11-19-2009, 4:29 PM
Thank you for all the replies.

At this time, I only need one 2" disk. Don't know if anyone is willing to take time out of their busy day to do just one. I will talk to my customer and see if he is interested in 10 -20 for future purchases.

The other project that just came through my door was a 3" x 5" plaque plate for the Xmas Parade that was full color. See new pictures. I need 9-10 of these.

Then the Chamber walked in and needs 100 4" x 6" full color (see Madras Chamber.jpg) plates to be made and installed on plaques for Chamber members.

Looks like I need to add some additional equipment to the shop.

Tony Lenkic
11-19-2009, 5:47 PM
Chuck,

Check with your local sign company that prints full color vinyls either with inkjets or thermal printers. They can print/cut those but quantity may need to be bit higher.

Brian Robison
11-19-2009, 8:22 PM
Chuck, I have some 2 inch discs. If you get with Ron,
let him know I'll send him one if he doesn't have any

Hilton Lister
11-20-2009, 12:52 AM
This is in reply to Scott's post. the Disc may not cost much, but the ink sure does. Also in my opinion it is probably more difficult to match logos for printing than lasering, so the cost for one disc would be not be economic. Matching colours is very time consuming, especially if the customer is finicky about it.

Another option for making inserts is Inkjet vinyl, lamination and doming. Not too much financial outlay to do them this way!

Mike Null
11-20-2009, 6:54 AM
Chuck

Another relatively low priced option is to purchase a color laser printer, heat press and some transfer paper. I've had my set up for 8 or 9 years and use it every week. It also allows you to do t-shirts, name tags, etc.

Mark Winlund
11-20-2009, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=Hilton Lister;1263906]This is in reply to Scott's post. the Disc may not cost much, but the ink sure does. Also in my opinion it is probably more difficult to match logos for printing than lasering, so the cost for one disc would be not be economic. Matching colours is very time consuming, especially if the customer is finicky about it.QUOTE]

Yes... real expensive. Cheapest setup for sublimation costs over $1000 including a cheap printer. The ink makers have a monopoly on this stuff. Also, it goes bad rapidly, if you do not use it at least once a week.

Mark

Hilton Lister
11-23-2009, 12:44 PM
I started off years ago, using Inkjet OHP film printed on my Epson printer in reverse, then laying on sign vinyl and double sided tape, finally cutting the discs out with curved nail scissors. All product and tools I had on hand. Moved on since then, but occasionally I still use this method as it is really easy and very quick.

Randy Walker
11-23-2009, 5:27 PM
I just got a sample from a co. called Horizons Incorporated. They have a product called "alumajet". They say that you can print directly on thier aluminum product with an ink jet printer. I dont know anything about them and havent used thier product, but it may be sometinig you could use. Here is a link www.horizonsisg.com (http://www.horizonsisg.com).

Randy Walker

Chuck Patterson
11-23-2009, 7:12 PM
Have lots of information and looking into all options. However, I have a few more questions regarding suppliers.

Hilton, who do purchase Inkjet vinyl, lamination and doming supplies from?

Mike, who do you get you heat transfer products from?

I guess if any one has suppliers they wish to share feel free to reply. One company that was recommended to me by another member was The Magic Touch but they have not responded to my emails asking about my printers compatibility.

Randy, funny that you mention Horizons Imaging. I received their sample pack last Friday. Pretty neat stuff.

Mike Null
11-23-2009, 7:29 PM
I use MagicTouch for my color laser transfer paper.

Hilton Lister
11-25-2009, 2:32 AM
Papilio.com / texascraft.com for inkjet vinyl and over laminate. Don't get the waterproof as it will not take a high resolution print. (which I found to my cost)
Doming resin, I can't help you with as I get it locally and am not in the U.S.