PDA

View Full Version : Small Box

Ken Glass
11-18-2009, 9:50 AM
Hey Gang,
Here is a little Box I made from some left over Red Flame Box Elder I had. I choose it because it had some burled areas I liked. It is going to be a present. It is 8-1/2" tall and 4" in diameter. It is the first box I have ever done, but I at least matched the grain from the top to the box. Other than that it is rather plain, even boring I think. I believe my photography has taken a step back . Lots of shadows and I think my camera was set on the wrong setting. Oh Well, I am a turner not a Photographer. No excuses.

Maybe I will have more time to work on my turning and photo's in 31days when retirement comes rolling in. It gets harder to fit work into the equation every passing day. I'm on my way tomorrow to pick up a new toy. No, not a turning tool. I purchased a restored vintage MGB roadster convertible and I have an 8-1/2 hour drive, and then the same back to home.
I will get a night in Knoxville to visit a 1st cousin I have not seen in a while, so the trip should be lots of fun.

Steve Mawson
11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Pretty nice box. I was going to say little but it's not so little. Never tried box elder but looks like very nice wood to turn. Assume the lid fits close and you did keep the grain lined up. I am kinda green on the retirement part. New toy sounds like fun.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-18-2009, 10:16 AM
MGB Roadster convertible???????? Talk about a Stealth Gloat!

Nice box BTW Ken!

Enjoy retirement! Well deserved, I'm sure.

John Keeton
11-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Retirement????:confused: What is that? I have heard the word, but don't grasp the concept?!?!

Ken, very nice work, and I am jealous of both the retirement and the MGB!!

I do have a novice question here, though. For you guys that to these really neat "boxes" (as a flatworker that term conjures up visions of angles??), is the finial stock glued first to the stock for the lid/top and turned at the same time, or is the finial turned separately and applied afterward?

Either way, excellent job on this one!

Ken Glass
11-18-2009, 11:19 AM
John,
The box and top were turned together and parted with a very thin homemade parting tool.. Then the finial was turned from American Holly, dyed and then sprayed with lacquer and glued to the top. The box is just Beall buffed.

Ken Glass
11-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Steve,
Next time you come home to J-ville, stop by, and I will give you a piece of Red Flame Box Elder to turn.

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Ken - very nice work on the box! Good form, proportion and finish! Will make for a wonderful gift!

Congrats on both your upcoming retirement and your new car! Spent some time in a MGB back in the early 70s and it was a lot of fun!

alex carey
11-18-2009, 1:06 PM
Beautiful piece and nice form.

Congrats on the new car and your retirement.

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2009, 6:09 PM
Ken great looking box. Really nice form and finial.

Congrats on your retirement. Don't let any grass grow under your feet as I am right behind you with 43 days left of working. I will retire Dec 31st. Really looking forward to it.

Rick Hutcheson
11-18-2009, 6:22 PM
That looks nice. Good selection on the color and shape of the final.

Thomas Canfield
11-18-2009, 8:02 PM
Great looking box. Congratulations on the MGB, but can you haul wood in it?

David E Keller
11-18-2009, 8:05 PM
Very nice overall... I especially like the finial with the slant at the top. Congrats on your upcoming retirement

Harlan Coverdale
11-18-2009, 9:50 PM
That's a nice box and some real pretty wood. The finial is cool, but it's a bit heavier looking than the Keith Burns style finial you're trying to do.

And congrats on the upcoming retirement and your new toy. Sounds like you'll be busy. :)

Alan Tolchinsky
11-18-2009, 10:11 PM
That's really nice especially for your first one. For me simplicity is beauty.

Alan Tolchinsky
11-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Ken great looking box. Really nice form and finial.

Congrats on your retirement. Don't let any grass grow under your feet as I am right behind you with 43 days left of working. I will retire Dec 31st. Really looking forward to it.

Hey Bernie, Congrats on your upcoming retirement. With all the work you do I thought you were retired already. I'm guessing your output is really going to go up.

Ken Glass
11-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks for your comments and all the retirement well wishes. Bernie congrats to you also. I am sure we are both deserving.

Barry Stratton
11-19-2009, 1:02 AM
You will love retirement and wonder where you got all the time to work before it!

Nice box also. Is that a Keith Burns inspired finial?

Jeff Luedloff
11-19-2009, 5:39 AM
very cool box, awesome job

Ken Glass
11-19-2009, 9:26 AM
Barry,
I now see what you mean. I just viewed a Keith Burns Box with a similar finial. Actually I didn't see his finial before I did this one. I did, however, use Cindy Drozda's video for some of her techniques. Mine was a hurried job I needed to get done for a gift and it falls way short of Keith's work in form and finish, but thanks just the same.