PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive backed sandpaper for palm sanders

Norm Zax
11-18-2009, 8:06 AM
Can anyone recommend an online source for Adhesive backed sandpaper for palm sanders? I just learned about this option. Does the sander become permanently sticky underneath?
thx!

glenn bradley
11-18-2009, 8:43 AM
Sanders that use PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) discs or sheets have pads designed for them just as hook and loop pads are designed for those types of discs. Most quality abrasive makers offer them, 3M (http://www.shop3m.com/3m-psa-disc-rolls-sgxzxwb9x9.html), Klingspor (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/34DA24DF/mac/qryitems.mac/itemDisplay?lenSgDsc=45X5P5%20X%205%20HOLE%20ADHES IVE%20BACK%20DISCS&qryType=GRPSG&group=DISCS), etc. Many folks prefer them but these people wear out thier discs faster than I do. If PSA discs are left on too long they become a bother to remove. In my hobbyist use H&L discs have never been any trouble but under heavy use I can see where PSA would be preferred.

Norm Zax
11-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks Glenn. My palm sander doesnt accept H&L paper but instead has a funny clamping device on both sides. No air suction holes. Using it is cumbersome but yesterday one clamp handle broke. Rather than getting a new sander (yes, this will come soon I guess), Im looking to PSA as a solution.

Conrad Fiore
11-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Norm,
Search for PSA sandpaper rolls, just about all the woodworking suppliers carry it.

glenn bradley
11-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks Glenn. My palm sander doesnt accept H&L paper but instead has a funny clamping device on both sides. No air suction holes. Using it is cumbersome but yesterday one clamp handle broke. Rather than getting a new sander (yes, this will come soon I guess), Im looking to PSA as a solution.

Sounds like PSA could stretch a little more life out of that sander. I would buy small amounts though :D. Seriously, I would buy a disc and test how my pad was going to react when I try to remove the sticky. If your pad is like my Makita or my Bosch palm sanders, some foam will probably come off with the disc. On the upside, this could speed your purchase of a new sander.

Dan Manning
11-18-2009, 1:42 PM
Was curious about this issue also. My palm sander has those PIA clamps, and the pad looks like pressed wool pad. I like the idea of a quick-change disc for it. Looks like I have some research to do...

Kent A Bathurst
11-18-2009, 1:49 PM
look at Klingspor.

Gary McKown
11-18-2009, 4:03 PM
Dan, when I converted an old Makita from clamps to PSA, I bought a sheet of "PSA Pad" at the same place I got the PSA rolls. Cut a piece of the pad, affix it to sander using the clamps, then the PSA is easily applied and removed. The Pad material sorta looks like a woven knit of some sort. It also works well as the underlayment for sanding blocks, for use of the same PSA paper.