PDA

View Full Version : D4 Leigh, whate else do I need w/ it?

David Brown
10-01-2004, 12:24 PM
as I have heard the $400.00 from Lee Valley (is this best place) is just the start? what else should I buy to do dovetaile WELL with this? I do not mean the fingerjoint or funny shaped joints, only the basic dovetail work. Thanks, Dave :)

Dennis Peacock
10-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Dovetail jig......that's only the beginning. There are router bits, various templates for the various joints, then you'll want a better router setup to do the dovetailing with...then you'll want a better bench to set all this up on, then you'll need just one more router bit or maybe the OTHER template that you didn't order last time. :eek: :p :D

Want to end the madness? Order EVERYTHING they offer and every router bit that it will ever need, 3 various routers and build a bench.....then you're all set.!!! :D :rolleyes: :p

Jim Becker
10-01-2004, 12:38 PM
The Leigh D4 is ready to go for basic through dovetails "out of the box" other than some simple alignment procedures for initial setup. It even has the two bits necessary for TDT in 3/4" material, although you need an appropriate guide bushing for your particular router. However, you'll need at least one addition bit if you want to do half-blinds...the #120. You can buy complete sets of "Leigh" bits to do all the different sizes and styles of dovetail joints in the most excellent manual that accompanies the the jig. I did that so it was a one-time purchase. While I bought a 1/4" shank set, in retrospect, I would buy an 8mm shank set today for the extra metal and strength they provide. This does require either an 8mm collet or 8mm adapter sleeve for a 1/2" collet, but is a good way to go in the long run. Anything else is "optional" and not needed for dovetail work.

Michael Ballent
10-01-2004, 1:50 PM
If you take a look on the Leig Jig WWW site you will see that there are other things that you can do with the stock jig like bookshelf holes, and I believe you can even do finger joints. I have not tried it with mine, but do intend to. Lee Valley does seem to have the best price on the jig.