PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think of this bandsaw? Opinions needed

Jeff Sudmeier
11-18-2009, 6:52 AM
Test from ad:

I have a 18in wood/metal band saw for sale. This is a Gil-Bilt kit saw It has multiple speeds; a large adjustable table, a bunch of saw blades and complete instructions. I have used it many time and it works very well.

Jason White
11-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Not sure I understand the question...

Test from ad:

David G Baker
11-18-2009, 1:09 PM
Jeff,
Is there a brand name on the saw? I can't tell from the photos and you didn't quote a asking price so opinions are pretty hard to pass on with out more info unless someone on SMC has the same saw or is familiar with this make.
Jason,
The "TEXT" from the add.

Jason White
11-18-2009, 1:23 PM
Ohhhhh... "TEXT" -- got it. He said "test...." Wasn't sure what he meant.

Jeff,
Is there a brand name on the saw? I can't tell from the photos and you didn't quote a asking price so opinions are pretty hard to pass on with out more info unless someone on SMC has the same saw or is familiar with this make.
Jason,
The "TEXT" from the add.

Tony Zaffuto
11-18-2009, 1:26 PM
Wasn't that a "kit" saw with a plywood frame?

Steve Rozmiarek
11-19-2009, 12:55 AM
I would not buy it, if that's the opinion you are looking for. It is a mystery saw, so at the very least you will have a hard time sourcing parts. It has no distinguishible exceptional characteristics that would warrant the potential hassle that it will be to set up properly. That drive belt "tensioning" system is ridiculous as well. Run away.

Bruce Page
11-19-2009, 1:05 AM
Unless it is DIRT cheap I wouldn't touch it.

Jeff Sudmeier
11-19-2009, 7:29 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, I was able to figure out it was a kit saw, the frame is wood and he wants $250, so it's not worth it to me..

Sorry about the "test".

I am a Quality Assurance Engineer and write test so many times that when I want to write text sometimes test comes out :)

Stephen Reid
11-19-2009, 7:34 AM
Wasn't that a "kit" saw with a plywood frame?
Tony is right.Goggle Gil Built band saw.It comes as a kit with wheels,guides,etc and you build the frame yourself.Try it out if you can might be a good saw if its cheap enough.18" is a nice size.

Whoops not fast enough!