PDA

View Full Version : A little something different...sticks :)

Brett Baldwin
11-18-2009, 1:34 AM
Being in martial arts provides opportunities to deal with things not often seen elsewhere. We started practicing some stick fighting techniques lately that is from an art called Escrima. Being a turner, I wasn't about to pay $20 for a pair of rattan sticks I knew I'd break in very short order. I had some 6/4 ash lying around that just begged to be made into some very durable escrima sticks. I made a set for my instructor as well knowing that he would be very disappointed with the rattan ones. (He isn't gentle with these sorts of weapons) My gift turned out to prove themselves the very next weapons class. During a demonstration of a technique, he broke a rattan stick with my ash one. He commissioned 7 pair for people who wanted decent ones. These are the first five of those. 26" by 1" diameter. Embellished with burned grooves. Not difficult turning but I'm certainly not going to turn down a chance to provide my fellow students with weapons that will last even with some hard practice. The money is a nice bonus.

alex carey
11-18-2009, 3:27 AM
haha, thats pretty sweet, burning was a nice touch.

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2009, 7:44 AM
Brett - that's the first time I've seen someone turn wood into a stick - intentionally! Sounds like they would work quite well for their intended purpose!

Does the weight difference between Ash and Rattan make much difference as far as handling? Just curious as the only exposure I've had to fighting sticks is in the movies! Always amazed me how the hero could get beat on with the sticks for 1/2 an hour and then just walk away.... must have been the Rattan!

David E Keller
11-18-2009, 8:07 AM
Nice work, grasshopper.

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2009, 8:43 AM
Cool pieces. Really nice looking pieces with the burning on them.

steven carter
11-18-2009, 8:47 AM
Great looking sticks, now it's time to kick some ash.

Steve

Reed Gray
11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Brett,
You want to take extra care in selecting wood. There can be NO cross grain, as in totally straight grain for the sticks. The center set of sticks has some. Best way to achieve that is to split the staves out before turning (ever watch Roy Underhill?), which is very difficult with kiln dried wood. If there is any cross grain at all, they will crack across the stick. Been there, done that. One other reason rattan is used is because it is better at absorbing the shock loads of the hitting, and you will feel it in your hands and wrists.

robo hippy

Brett Baldwin
11-18-2009, 3:44 PM
Steve,

The weight difference is very small, at least with the ash I have. Several of the women in the class have handled the ash ones and not found them to be significantly more. Another woodworker made some out of Bubinga and while they look good, they are noticably heavier. Too much for extended practice.

Reed,

Sounds like you have some stick bashing under your belt. I'm glad to have your insights. I used boards that were as close to quarter sawn as I could find but you're right, they weren't split. I'll try splitting the boards next time. I agree that the rattan will absorb more shock but the quality of the products I've seen is so poor, it is worth some discomfort to have something I know will hold up. We are only learning the basic techniques of escrima and those, about once a week, so I'm hoping that these will serve us well. I will replace any that break for free since these are my friends and I really just want them to have a decent weapon to practice with. The martial arts weapon industry is flooded with low quality products these days.

Mike Golka
11-18-2009, 4:37 PM
Hmmmm.. weapons of ash destruction;)

Richard Madison
11-18-2009, 7:06 PM
Very clever concept (wood sticks). Reminds me of the routine that Johnny Carson used to do called "Dickie the Stick". Way to seize an opportunity there Brett!